cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for DNS problem !!!!!

N/A

From ADSLGuide forum, found this solution to the incredibly annoying DNS problem.

Go to http://www.opendns.com/ and use their settings for your router/connection. It is a free service and has solved the problem completely.

I wasn't prepared to wait for plusnet as the problem is really dragging on.

Stato
20 REPLIES
IanD
Grafter

Works even better than PlusNet's alternative DNS settings. Any known drawbacks to using this long term?
lingbob
Grafter

Been using OpenDNS for a while now without any problems Cheesy
IanD
Grafter

Worked fine so far for every site I've clicked on. Seems good although there seem to be a few concerns on wikipedia.
bigtim
Grafter

same here.^^^^^^
only changed settings in windows though not on my router,does this matter :?:
pacem
Grafter

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts :-)

OpenDNS.COM may appear to be offering a fast reliable service but in reality OpenDNS.COM is a commercial setup and they are breaking the way DNS works although I admit they do offer some advantages. Maybe there are more negative issues that people need to consider.

1.) OpenDNS.com is *NOT* faster than PN (except in cases where PN's server times out on you); OpenDNS's servers are located in the States. Average querey times using PN took 53ms, queries to OpenDNS will take a minimum of 120ms simply because of the ping time in accessing such distant servers.

2.) OpenDNS.com have a lot of storage so they can profile which sites you visit. Where PN are bound by data protection measures OpenDNS are not; they can sell your site access profile to whomever they like. They will know every single machine that you contact and not just for websites.

3.) Because OpenDNS always return a DNS address even when there shouldn't be one you may get incorrect error reports when trying to FTP/SSH/Torrent. All these services and many others will report an error along the lines of "service not running at address" instead of "unknown address". This could break some programs but is more likely to waste your time when you fail to type an address correctly and don't understand why the service you are connecting to is not responding. (The only exception to this is HTTP where you will get a page of targeted adverts from OpenDNS for each misspelled URL - remind me again how they know what adverts to show you....)

If you really want a faster service you would best be advised to use one without other commercial interests and this is in the UK so it is close enough to respond quickly to any DNS query.

Paul.<><
Community Veteran

Best solution.

leave pn to die its slow death.

I've waded the storm many time but this is the end mac code requested.

A
IanD
Grafter

Pacem,

Any suggestions for an alternative DNS fix?

Changed back to try PlusNet's "fix" and can't access very many sites at all. At least OpenDNS allows me to reach such unusual sites as www.autosport.com or wikipedia.

Wish PlusNet would properly admit there is a problem and get us back to what used to work.
N/A

I have Been using 2 of Nildrams DNS servers for over 5 years now and never had 1 problem, I use them no matter which ISP I am with.

hope this helps some of you experiencing problems
Cheesy
N/A

You could always set up your own and get the DNS straight from the top. I run mine on 2 dedicated servers, but there's nothing to stop you setting up on your own machine. I use BIND, which is available for windows, but you may find some easier to use ones.
shellsong
Grafter

Some people I know like to use Treewalk DNS-- I think I shall have to do a bit of digging around for myself!
IanD
Grafter

Any online guides for BIND or Treewalk that explain how to set them up and get your router using the correct addresses would be appreciated!

Going to try Nildram's DNS settings tonight - not completely happy with the OpenDNS concept.
long-gone
Grafter

@micromecca

Shouldn't dns0.nildram.co.uk be 195.112.4.14 (not 195.112.4.4)?

195.112.4.7 seems correct for dns1.nildram.co.uk
N/A

well.... you made me check :lol:

but nope been using them for 5 years, I dont think they are very well known Wink
N/A

195.112.4.4 returns a name of radius.nildram.co.uk

Pinging radius.nildram.co.uk [195.112.4.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.112.4.4: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=55
Reply from 195.112.4.4: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=55
Reply from 195.112.4.4: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=55
Reply from 195.112.4.4: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 195.112.4.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 41ms

Methinks you have their login servers listed as one of your NS?