Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sobig virus missed by plusnet

N/A

How come that when I only use plusnet for imternet
access, I pay for front end virus protection, and
I now have the sobig virus in my computer.
How do I know? I run sophos as backup - just as well
hazell
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you sure it came through email?

Chris
N/A

Could have come through a different email account too. I've recently discovered that Hotmail don't scan emails for viruses if you collect through Outlook Express (luckily I get all my virus emails sent to plusnet accounts so norton scans them).
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

No virus checker is 100% guarenteed as this is simply not possible but I have tested the anti-virus on my staff account and it has stopped the 5 instances of sobig that I tried to send.

If you continue to have problems with the service then please provide us with the full headers of the e-mail and also the virus found and we will investigate further.

One final thing to note, and this is just with regards to viruses in general, is that in most cases you don't get them if you don't open dodgy attachments on your e-mail - before I worked at PlusNet I had never run a virus checker in my life and after 2 years my PC still had no infections.

Regards,
Simon_M
Grafter

in most cases you don't get them if you don't open dodgy attachments on your e-mail

.... and if you use Outlook Express, turn off the Preview Pane, to stop the email being opened automatically (Views|Layout). I believe that some are clever enough to only require the email to be opened, rather than the attachment to be opened as a seperate action as well.

Simon
N/A

Original bugs in OE meant you only had to download the mail.

Regardless of the Preview pane setting, or if you open it or nor, simply collecting the item off the server was enough.

Sobig isn't so. It uses the cheapest method of Social Engineering to spark itself off.

I honestly can't wait until a week tomorow when the virus becomes inactive. My current total stands at 9,417 Sobig.F related e-mails (around 65% are bounced rejections).
N/A

looks like i got off lightly with my "mere" 200 sobig related mails then.. :shock:
N/A

That is on my personal address. This allready received around 30 spam mails per day.

My work address is currently not receiving any, however, I am not sure about any of the others in the organisation. I know they are not infected, as my monitoring software doesn't show any outgoign mail.

However, I don't dare count it until after the expiration date.
csogilvie
Grafter

I've had a couple of bounce messages with it and one with someone saying I sent the virus. Spam wise, since 4PM on the 13th of August, I've had "480 spam messages recorded from 1152 emails (41.67%)"