cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So with all these caps and its still crap !

N/A

We have caps from p2p right up to taking a crap,

but everything has got worse from surfing to newsgroups (with a slight improvement, if you call it that felt like a upgrade from a 56k modem)

The Question is why are things not improving ?

If someone can get a far better product for the same money then its only a matter of time before +net have no customers, virtually all people searching for new ISP's are giving +net a wide birth and not touching it with a barge poll.

Plusnets motto "its all about Delivery" but what about keeping your customers happy.

If +net can not maintain its customer base then it should offer a few move away from +net. - that way improving things for everyone, but what they have done is killed one of the UK's BEST ISP, now its nothing more than a AOL.
19 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I disagree. The days of all you can eat broadband are gone. Bandwidth is expensive and now it's being used more and more for things like P2P / Usenet etc... Plusnet simply cannot offer unlimited unthrottled usage.

Shaping is something that every responsible ISP is going to have to do to avoid congested, unreliable networks it's just Plusnet are at the forefront.

I know of at least two other big ISPs that have ordered the same ellacoya units that Plusnet use to manage their networks.

If it's not managed, then you get to a situation where the network is so congested the speeds slow down anyway, but for everything across the board. What Plusnet are doing is managing their network proportionally to maintain a good service all round at the expense of bandwidth hogging P2P / Usenet. It simply has to be done, especially at the £21.99 price point most are paying for Premier.

If you want an unrestricted, unthrottled, 1:1 contended line you are looking at about £15,000 a year for a leased line.
N/A

I know of at least two other big ISPs that have ordered the same ellacoya units that Plusnet use to manage their networks.

away liam, spill the beans, who is it? Wink
N/A

Shaping is something that every responsible ISP is going to have to do to avoid congested, unreliable networks it's just Plusnet are at the forefront.

What gets me is that other ISPs can handle and manage their network SO MUCH better, with little or minor speed loss compared to + Net. I'm all for a managed system, a decent cap etc but DON't really buy into + Net damage limitation or the carrot & stick approach. We users are a fickle bunch and if we don't see improvements SOON, even the loyal users will START looking else where for speed, reliability and honesty
N/A

What I thought I was paying for was a 2MB line, 30:1 contention and a cap at 100GB. This was acceptable to me, and widely advertised as being the case when I signed up.

Then 3 days on from migrating, I was crippled at 15GB.

Real men don't eat quiche - and real internet users use more than HTTP.

You know, when I eventually get a 8MB connection in my neck of the woods, I am going to leap with joy when an internet page loads 4 times quicker than on my 2MB line and my 3k email gets to me before it is sent.
LiamM
Grafter

How do you know that though?

Just pop over to Wanadoo / Tiscali / AOL / Virgin etc.... the big name companies.

They all employ shaping and contention to their connections. It's just they don't admit it and / or discuss it with their client base. I have a friend on Tiscali, his HTTP speeds are very poor... ping times are up... I downloaded a Linux ISO from heanet in an hour - averaging 230k... he downloaded it in just over 2 hours averaging 110k - on a 2Mb connection.

Then on the other hand you have people like Zen.... who currently say they offer no contention on their network. Thats fair enough, at the moment... at the premium they charge they can afford to do it for longer than most other ISPs... but it will soon hit them that even at the prices they charge, they wont be able to sustain the heaviest users and keep plouging money into their network for those that aren't heavy users.

Then you have the people in between, low cost, high quality broadband where employing network management is essential. People like Pipex, Plusnet, Nildram etc...
N/A

We understand what you are saying, but then what is the point of a 2MB line (or even an 8MB)?

If you can't use it to its fullest then it must be like having a Ferrari and driving through treacle.
Julie
Grafter

Liam,

I understand what you are saying and I understand that the netowrk has to be managed, however
I wanted to use p2p last night for a file I wanted and I hardly ever use it
I gave up in the end as I do not consider 3KB/S acceptable for my 2meg connection., and did not fancy waiting for the file to download at this speed for the approx 7 hours it said it would take...it was only a 358mb file Sad
Don't you think that this is managing the network a little too much.
N/A

Real men don't eat quiche - and real internet users use more than HTTP.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice, i like it, your wording that is, not quiche
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If you can't use it to its fullest then it must be like having a Ferrari and driving through treacle.

99% of our customers can use their connections for exactly what they want when they want as much as they want to, as far as they are concerned they are using their conneciton to it's fullest. They are doing this without using the connection in a way that detriments the rest of the customer base.

Oh, and lindamears, my name is Ben.
N/A

lindamears - Like it a lot.

Should send to B3TA...
N/A

Oh, and lindamears, my name is Ben.

but bob's isn't :roll:
N/A

Amusing picture Lindamears. I bet even the comms team had a secret chuckle :lol:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

And Bob hasn't posted in here for a while, so I guessed it was aimed at me. You'd be surprised how many people call be Bob on these forums.
N/A

Hey, my name is Ben too!

Brassed-off Ben to be precise.