cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So why do I still get slow downloads?

N/A

My MaxDSL has been active for over a month. I all that time, my router has synced at 8128/448, and http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate shows my stable rate to be 8000.
I have disconnected/reconnected, disconnected for an extended period before reconnecting, run speedtests at all times of day and night, and have never seen any download speed other than 2mbit.

WHY? Is there still a MaxDSL problem that hasn't been fixed?
7 REPLIES
N/A

that sounds like your line rate is set right but your BRAS profile on BT's end is still saying 2mbit, PN should be able to get it sorted for you
N/A

You would think so, wouldn't you?

So far, though, my chocolate teapot has been doing a better job. At least it appears to make an effort.
ferryman
Grafter

I have the same problem (except that I am stuck on 1mb) because that was my fixed rate speed.

I raised a question (ID 19591012) 2 days ago about this issue but have received only useless copy-and-paste replies from CS agents. They apparently have no idea what they are talking about. I was so annoyed yesterday that I sent a PM to Ian Wild asking him to look at the case as an example of incompetent CS response. I have had no reply yet.

The Comms Team are failing to respond to complaints about this particular MaxDSL problem. They have not acknowledged the problem exists or informed us about what is being done about it. PN staff are burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem goes away. Well, it will not unless they start complaining to BT.
hitachi
Grafter

Ian's on holiday.
N/A

Ian's on holiday.

Surely there are other PlusNet people who can answer this?
hitachi
Grafter

I would have thought so, but ferryside said he had pm'd Ian and I doubt they are reading his pm's
N/A

My answer from +net.
I probably have never synced for long enough to actually get above 2.5 anyway, but this gives an idea of BT's report frequency to Plus.

It only took three exchanges with a CS agent, but when I realised my questions weren't being answered, I simplified them, and at last got an answer.

Firstly to confirm, your line was upgraded to MAX by BT on 02/05/06 so the training period (which at the moment is closer to 14 days rather than 10) should have ended no later than 16/05/06

The 2000 stable rate is set by default by our system, and this will change as and when we recieve reports from BT regarding your line throughput rate.

The majority of the reporting is undertaken during the training period, but this is a constant process and therefore We've so far recieved reports on 10/05, 14/05, 04/06 & 06/06, all indicating around a 2MB connection (currently 2.5)

The training period is to determine the Maximum stable speed, if Bt cant ascertain this then you'd be put on a lower rate until readings could be retrieved on your line.

I don't know if this is of any help, but I've found that sometimes asking a question or raising a fault in a manner similar to the BT fault questionnaire helps the CS agent understand.

I couldn't get above 1 mb before max. Now, my latest speedtest figures, although no speed tester other that the BT one is accurate.

The BRAs problem was supposed to have been fixed, but it seems that it hasn't.

Download Speed: 2240 kbps (280 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 372 kbps (46.5 KB/sec transfer rate)