cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what next?

N/A

So what next?

username: jmcclurkin

So my bro can get 2MB with plusnet yet my line failed due to line loss?

btw i live in the same house has my bro and we both got are lines installed at the same time, i dont need to hear about the line being longer or extra line loss cause thats what i thought the problem was with the other line yet its 2MB & online and am not Sad

I have talked to the local area BT engineering manager and he has went to great length's to find out information about the 3 telephones lines coming in to this house, at the start we didnt think we could have 2MB but i had a fair idea that we could.

Now that we have managed to get 1 of the 2 lines enabled even after the online checker's said we couldn't get 2mb, we did, even after it failed twice with internet central, we did, so even after it fails with plusnet, which it did, then it's try again with another attempt once we get my account details sorted again and money put back.

And i will speak to BT again and the chap in belfast and maybe BT will see what the line can really do. :?
72 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

So what next?

Hi there,

I can imagine how frustrating that must be ... good luck! If BT are less productive when you chase them up let us know and we can escalate this to our accounts manager.
N/A

So what next?

The test's that BT carry out, do they actually send an engineer out to the local exchange to test the line or not?

My theory is that BT will send an engineer out, if there line test's can be done through computer software (which 151 can do) this gives them just reason to send out an engineer out in the first place because...

One of the test's that BT can do on a line is "line length" from the exchange to a Telephone phone socket, it's not accurate but gives a good indication whether or not you can get ADSL and decides if an engineer should be sent out.

Don't forget BT are doing this for free and if they can check on a computer if you can get ADSL they will use that instead of sending out a engineer. Wink

Now i ordered two 2MB line's for two phone number's twice and the test's came backed from BT "line loss" or "line length" etc, by BT saying these things you would believe that there was a test carryed out at my local exchange.

Well this might come as abit of a shock to the person wanting ADSL they don't send out an engineer for every ADSL ordered, they are doing it for free and why waste time or money.

Now if they had sent an engineer out when i placed them two order's with Internet Central about four weeks ago, the Telephone line that failed twice with IC & BT were mean't to have sent out an engineer to TEST some how, get this, some how magically worked after ordering the third time with plusnet, aehmm sorry but how can a Telephone line that was tested twice and failed for "line loss" or "line length" become to work? anyone?

So there is discrepancies some where, there tests are flawed, now if i said i spoke to someone at BT in belfast that was able to tell me that a install of a IPstream office 2000 was going in on a tuesday and i was asking him of a PTO to be done but it had to come from a ISP, well maybe he thought it would better to send a engineer out and get the line tested from the exchange rather than be put in a position of me phoning him up all the time complaining and me knowing that my line was 3.04km and not what he was telling me that my line was 3.80km.

I think they go with the information on the computer screen rather than send a engineer out on a wild goose chase.

So you see maybe the position am in now with BT and plusnet, it was something the same 2 weeks ago before my brother got his 2MB in.

btw this is the best reason i got to work with if am wrong then big deal, but if anyone as got something else to add then feel free.
N/A

So what next?

Hi,

The test's that BT carry out, do they actually send an engineer out to the local exchange to test the line or not?

AFAIK, if BT's database is showing that the line is too long for 1 or 2 MB then they won't normally bother proceeding further with the order, unless the end user then wants a 512k connection.
If the line is showing up as marginal, then they'll sometimes send an engineer to the exchange (and occasionally even the customer premesis) to test the line from there.
If the order looks OK to proceed in any case, BT will test the line from the exchange before connecting the line to the DSLAM permanently.
If your two lines are basically the same length, and are installed via the same route back to the exchange, I cannot see why BT would be failing the order -this is definitely worth pursuing!
Community Veteran

So what next?

It could be that one line is simply of a worse quality, connected to different equipment at the exchange, a different quality of cable used etc etc. They may well be the same length, although often the routing for a line is different even for 2 lines in the same building.

Chris
N/A

So what next?

Well this is just BT's style, to use software that is incorrect, i have asked for a line distance check and they have read to me am 3.80km from the exchange so no little wonder that they have not sent out a engineer to test the line. Cry

------------------------------------------

fa55dsl m8, i have checked, there has been blue print's been looked at, have talk two engineer's there is little, to no chance what so ever, that the line's are running any longer than each other, i knew this before i even got my 2MB connection it's no different now, i just need to no know if i can reorder, so i must get the timing right when i do order, so that i can speak to the guy in belfast and make sure that when they do send a engineer to test the line that it's done right. :x

Both the lines have had 512k on them before with no problems they are both the same in line noise extra, even my software that is comes with are modems have a read out of line noise and down stream attenuation, show's them as the same, so am past that stage of testing and knowing, it's getting BT to wake up and see that the line can handly 2MB, which is easier said than done.
N/A

So what next?

Line length tests are performed by machines that sit in offices.

These tests are not accurate at all. Weather and other facotrs can change the outcome of the results drasticly.
N/A

So what next?

All am saying is that 2 out of 3 times my line failed, nothing to do with the weather imo it was never going to work without a phone call, i told the guy that sends the engineer's out that my line was 3.04km's and not the 3.80km's that he went away and checked, he sent the engineer then.

When i do get the other 2MB line in, this will just show BT that even after 6 ordered attempts, over 2 months to get 2MB, the customer is always right.
N/A

So what next?

Smiley will get it!!
N/A

So what next?

Comment By: Stephen Dean
CSC - Technical Escalations Session Domain Name
nmcclurkin
Session Start Time
01-Jun-2003 13:42:02 (Duration 01:34:09)
---------------
26/50db loss - within limits.

Thats a good score when the limit is +0.41db at the exchange and at the home it is +0.45db.
N/A

So what next?

Hi,

When you discussed this with BT did they say whether the second line was aluminium or copper? A different quality of line can affect the tests BT do, although I would have thought that they would have taken this into account...
N/A

So what next?

Yes both lines are all copper from my house to the exchange, 80% was checked through blue prints and the last 20% was check from the green cabinet, there is no copper along the way, both lines have been checked and passed for normal telephone use, no error's came up on testing.

Both lines where installed by BT at the same time for internet use, on Nov 2000.

The lines are a near perfect match.

Both lines have had ADSL 512k BTopenworld service on them with no problems.

Both lines have the same Signal Noise, Down stream attenuation on them, as the software that is run by both of the same make of modems showed.

Both Pc's are of the same spec except for the Grahpics card on one pc.

One of them lines coming in to the house now, has a IP stream office 2000 working on it fine.

I got this information because i live not to far away from a BT bloke that has been helpful in getting this information, i would not be saying this unless i knew that this line could handle 2MB, but the line can and will.

Also BT test's do not work!!

My Brothers line failed Twice!! then passed the third time, its a flawed test that is giving non-accurate results.

And the weather is hardly effecting under ground cables from this house to the exchange, i have asked questions about the line and if there was any problems with water getting in then there would be a fault come up on the lines, which the testing would have showed.
N/A

So what next?

Good Evening,

I can understand how frustrating this matter is to you. As you are aware from ticket 7252308 we are awaiting an update from BT on the situation. On your behalf I've returned the ticket to our provisioning team and added some further comments to ensure we do get the update for you as soon as possible.
I can't help any further at the moment , but if you have any further details to add to the ticket please amend accordingly.
N/A

So what next?

updated ticket.

And should i contact oftel because i will never ever ever stop trying to get 2MB on this line if it takes from now till 2010, am going to start phoning BT all the time now, this as really really pissed me of some what unreal.

http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/advice/contact_us/step3_nireland.htm

And it will not be plusnet that am complaing about, you guys have been the great bunch of people and my brother would not be with you other wise, but BT have got this wrong and i will prove it!
Community Veteran

So what next?

Hi,

Unfortunatly Oftel won't really be able to do anything. BT are only obligated to provide you with a voice line and do not have to offer you ADSL and BT have also shown they have tried to sort it for you. With some lines it is just technically not possible - look at all those people with TPON (fibre lines) and DACS who are finding it very difficult to get ADSL.

I think the best thing to do is keep looking for ways to improve your chances of ADSL or consider the rate adaptive ADSL 500 service.

Chris