cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, something's broken [Usage Limits]

N/A

Yesterday I received the warning about my traffic limit about to be exceeded. I had 2gb left to use, as I recall. First I'd heard of my account having a limit ..

Anyway, I just had another e-mail stating that the limit had been exceeded. So, since the "peak time" of 4pm passing, I have downloaded 2gb in 2 hours! That's quite remarkable considering nothing besides webpages and messenger programs have been used. Even better is the fact that the traffic summary page insists I'm gobbling up my allowance with "peer to peer" data, despite my not using any P2P programs at all during anything near peak times in a week or more.

Anyone else suffering from this faintly insane issue?
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

You don't have a wireless router do you?
Or any other computers connected to your line?
I'd be surprised if the VMU measurements were that far out.
(But then, it is Plusnet, so I suppose anything's possible)
N/A

You don't have a wireless router do you?
Or any other computers connected to your line?
I'd be surprised if the VMU measurements were that far out.
(But then, it is Plusnet, so I suppose anything's possible)

We have one (secured) wireless access point and 4 computers on the network - WLAN included.

Even if we did have interlopers on the network - 2GB in 120 mins? That's a constant DL speed of 344kb/s (if my maths isn't sucking today). That doesn't sit at all with my usual speeds from well-connected servers (or decent torrent downloads) of around 150kb/s.
N/A

When I first joined Plus.net, they were great. I used to have little trouble. Since then, I've found my downloads cut down. The price remains the same however, despite the reduction in the service being provided.

I think that if I were to contact Plus.net with a waffly e-mail telling them that I have decided that due to the reduction in service from the original agreement, I'm only going to pay them £10 a month - they'd soon have something to say about it...
Alecto
Grafter

@coupe1
No offence intended. It's just that the most obvious solution is often the right one, and I've not seen any other instances where Pn overclocked the VMU by so much.

With those sorts of figures, I'd expect it to be somebody else on your network, or an outside party using your wireless connection. I've managed P2P at that speed quite easily.
N/A

@coupe1
No offence intended. It's just that the most obvious solution is often the right one, and I've not seen any other instances where Pn overclocked the VMU by so much.

No offence taken - sorry if it came across that way Smiley