cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So slow / Pages not loading

alliejc
Grafter

I have no difficulty connecting but after a certain amount of time which can vary from as little as a minute upwards, my connection just goes dead. It doesn't disconnect but I'm unable to load any page so I have to disconnect and then try again and of course it happens again ............and again and again.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm on connect standard.

I've raised a ticket but got a reply saying to use the alternative dns server (no idea how to do this) and to send PPP logs but no instructions were provided.

It's happening on all 3 of my computers and it doesn't matter what time of day it is, although I haven't tried during the night. I'm getting really fed up.

Any ideas?

Allie
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Can you do a test dial-up to the 0845 number and let us know if you get the same problem? (0845 1400101 same user/pass). It may be a problem specific to the FRIACO platform, if you can test this and append the results to your ticket we can investigate further.
alliejc
Grafter

The 0845 number is working fine for me. I have added this information to my ticket as requested.
N/A

Allie

I've had just the same problem last night and had difficulty connecting on the 0808 number - all late evenings for the last three nights. 0845 number seems to work fine. BTW usually after 9pm when I've had the probs. Connection fine for about a minute or two (when I eventually get ONEHuh) and then go to sleep with email servers and web pages timeing out.

Hope this is not Plusnets 'normal' service as only been with them about a week or two. Will move on elsewhere if it is, as not prepared to pay for a p*** poor service

John
alliejc
Grafter

Hi John,

Interesting to hear that someone else is experiencing the same problem as me. I've been with plusnet for over a year now and I must say that up until now I've been really happy with the service for the majority of the time - there have been occasional blips but they have always been sorted out quickly. What annoys me is that I've paid to use this service and I'm having to pay the local rate access on top of my connect payment because that's the only way I can gain any reliable access to the internet. Sad

Allie
Ianwild
Grafter

HI GUys,

If this is only happening on the 0808 numbers, it does sound like a problem within BT's collossus network.

The difference between 0845 and 0808 Friaco based numbers is huge. Friaco numbers terminate on BTs equipment, and the physical connection is managed at their local PoPs. Your connection is then ported to our network over BTs colossus backbone and a fiber optic link to our management servers. This is similar to the way ADSL works. 0845 numbers on the other hand are an analogue call which terminate directly on our own modems.

We will happily raise any problems like this with BTnet on your behalf. In order for us to do this we need you to complete a fault template, and provide full PPP logs. Both then need to be attached to a Contact Us ticket and we will raise this with BT. I have included more information below the main body of my post. The chances are that, any unmetered connection with any ISP using an 0808 99* number will present the same problems for you.

We had a similar problem a year or two ago. Through help from our customers, and a lot of shouting, BT eventually identified an obscure problem on their network and resolved it. It is possible something similar has happened again. If we are going to raise this again we will need everyones help in getting the data together to identify the pattern with this one.

---

How to obtain PPP logs -

To record PPP logs for Win95/98/98se and ME:

1. Go to My Computer --> Dial Up Networking.
2. Right Click on our connection and click Properties.
3. Highlight the Server Types tab and check "record a log file for this
connection".
4. "OK" the dialog box.

1. Go to Control Panel --> Network.
2. Double Click on Dial Up Adapter.
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Highlight the "Record a Log File" menu item and select "Yes" from the
drop down box.
5. "OK" the dialog box.

The two files will be in your Windows directory. This is normally
C:WINDOWS.

One is called "ppplog.txt" and the other is the same name as your modem, for
example "56k Generic Modem.log".

For Win2000/2000pro/XPhome and XP pro;

Go to this link;

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;Q234014

and follow the instructions under;

Enabling PPP Logging on a Computer Running Windows 2000 Professional Using

Netsh.exe

The PPP logs will then be enabled in C:\WINDOWS\tracing

----

The fault template, which is required by BT to be completed in full, should be attached to your ticket using the "Attach File" button within the Contact Us ticket.

YOUR USERNAME -
EXACT NATURE OF FAULT -
FREQUENCY OF EVENTS -
DATES/TIMES -
NUMBER YOU ARE CALLING FROM-
0808 NO. YOU ARE CALLING -
YOUR CONTACT NO. -
YOUR LOCATION -
WHAT HAPPENS ON 0845 DIALUP -
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ON THE HANDSET -
IS THE LINE A BT LINE -
YOUR MODEM / TA MODEL -
YOUR MODEM / TA SPEED (v.90, x2, v.92 etc, single / dual channel -
IF YOU HAVE CALL WAITING, IS IT DISABLED? (#43#) -
IS CALLING LINE IDENTIFICATION ENABLED? (141 not used) -
IS YOUR DIAL TONE CONTINUOUS? (No 1571 or call diversion) -
IS THE NUMBER YOU ARE CALLING FROM IN OUR CLI LIST? -
ARE YOU TRYING TO USE AN EXTENSION AT THE SAME TIME? -
ANY EXTRA INFO –

With Regards,
N/A

Ian....

you wrote....

Go to this link;

Can you supply a link again as that one doesn't work??

Thxs for your input. To be fair most of the time your service is good but come 9pm it can be a pig of a job to get a connection on the anytime number (080Cool - Get the network busy and no dial tone errors but comes down to the fact that the network is busy either your end or BT's IMHO

John
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Ian....

you wrote....

Go to this link;

Can you supply a link again as that one doesn't work??

Thxs for your input. To be fair most of the time your service is good but come 9pm it can be a pig of a job to get a connection on the anytime number (080Cool - Get the network busy and no dial tone errors but comes down to the fact that the network is busy either your end or BT's IMHO

John

Hi there,

The link is as below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234014
N/A

Ian....

The link is as below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234014

Hi....

Thxs for the link which I've followed up ..... seems with XP pro it's a bit simpler than MS quote, but was able to enable logging.

Which leads me on to ever since I enabled PPP logging I've had no problems what so ever!! Webpages and email whizzing along - or as fast as ISDN and the net allow anyway. I've been able to connect pretty much first time even after 9pm and well things seemed to have settled down. Probably BT mucking about somewhere, but what ever I'm now pleased with the PlusNet service. Probably all go down hill now having said that!!

Thxs

John
N/A

Hi,

It sounds like it could be a bizarre OS flaw, or just a happy coincidence!
In any case, please let us know if it recurs Smiley
alliejc
Grafter

I know that my problem was passed on to BT but I've not heard anything since - how long should I expect to wait?

Allie
N/A

I know that my problem was passed on to BT but I've not heard anything since - how long should I expect to wait?

Allie

Hello,

Under normal timescales when a fault is raised to BT they will get back to us within 48 hours in the first instance. This may be to say a fault is resolved or to provide/ask for feedback.
If it is longer than this since your issue was raised I would suggest raising a contact us ticket asking for a further update, or amend the ticket that already contains the details of your problem.
N/A

At last, more people have the same problem as myself.
I raised a ticket in June 2002 with the 'freezing' problem. The solution, which wasnt, got lost in contention, firmware and software.
I raised another ticket in November 2002. Still no joy.
I will start again, but this time hang on until a solution.
N/A

I think this whole service is ****poor Evil
I've not been able to connect now for two days, the line is either busy or you get no reply. I'm sure if my payments were late they would do somthing.

Good bye Plusnet helo BTopenworld.
N/A

I think this whole service is ****poor Evil
I've not been able to connect now for two days, the line is either busy or you get no reply. I'm sure if my payments were late they would do somthing.

Good bye Plusnet helo BTopenworld.

Good Evening,

As you are fully aware you may experience busy periods due to the contention of the service. This however should not leave you unable to connect for 2 days. Have you tried dialling the 0808 number on your telephone handset and see what response you can hear. If it is screeching modem sounds then the line is okay and the fault is elsewhere.