cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So once again, what speed do I have?

curati
Grafter

If I go into the connection settings menu and look at the high speed broadband icon it says I'm running at 2000 bps.

However every month I receive a bill from plusnet that includes the following information

Please note - It is important that your payment details are valid and you
have sufficient funds in your account on 27/12/2006 as failure to do so
will result in your PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb (Annual Contract,
Activation and Modem Offer) account being disabled.

So which is it - an upto 2mbps or an upto 8mbps.

I'm not that fussed I find current speeds acceptable, however they do appear to be more inline with upto 2mbps than 8mbps.
9 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

You paid for upto8mbs?
curati
Grafter

i pay 14.99 a month.

i started on the upto 2mbps and then got told that my account was being updated. I lost connection for a couple of days and then wabam i was told that my account was upgraded. It seemed to run a little quicker (I used to get between 1mbps and 1.6mbps) I now get 1.8mbps regularly. but never over 2mbps.
N/A

If you are on ADSL Max - 2000 is shown as the speed your line can support. If so please post your router stats and someone can give you more clarification.

If you have not been upgraded to max and you are on fixed 2mb service you can request to upgrade FOC this MAY give you higher speeds, but can fluctuate if there are problems with your line.

Hope this helps
Community Veteran

You paid for upto8mbs?

Account charges are no longer based on speed, but service level, such as included usage allowance service and other extras such as web space and advanced features.

Chilly
Zathras
Grafter

Lol misunderstanding, I often see people moaning they pay for upto8mb speeds when of course its a free upgrade and they pay the same as those of us on fixed speeds.
curati
Grafter

Sorry to send to the top but I don't feel as if my question has been answered.

I appear from my bill to be paying for an upto 8mbps service yet my account says current connection settings say that my current broadband speed is upto 2000 kbps.

NB this is not a complaint. I just want to know what speed i am supposed to be running
alankay
Grafter

Do a BT Speedtest and all should become clear Wink
Community Veteran

You are probably on the up to 8Mb/s service. This is so called adsl max.

However, this is a "rate adaptive" service. That means the hardware at both ends of the line negotiate to find out what the fastest speed your line can support is - depending on line quality, and distance from the exchange, and then sets that as your speed (this is what you are seeing on the webpage).

This is why the service is called "up to"
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The product you are on is an up to 8Mbps product, this would have changed around April last year when you would have been on an up to 2Mbps product.

Starting in April last year we began upgrading customers to BT's DSLMax, but problems were seen so we suspended the upgrade and then changed it to opt-in only. It looks like you weren't upgraded before the upgrades were suspended and so are still on 2Mbps. You can put a request in for a free speed regrade at

http://max.plus.net

it should take around 7-10 days.