N/A

So much for improved CS... Comms any chance of some service

Question topic: Data Transfer / Speed | ID: 20253885 Open
Your original question 9:17am, Sunday 10th September 2006
[Support Wizard Journey]
[What is my Data Transfer Rate / Broadband Speed?]
[Data Rate / Speed]
[Additional Information]
My speed has dropped back to under 1mb having been on 1.4-5mb for some time...(MONTHS)

Line Stats

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 3488 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 5.0 dB (Downstream), 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 59.0 dB (Downstream), 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 18.0 dB (Downstream), 12.1 dB (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {B5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0}
PVC Info: 0/38

SNR is only 5 but system is fine at that level..

Please restore my speed ASAP.... in fact why dont I get 2mb or more...

Looking forward to a prompt and accurate response.

Many thanks

XXXX XXXXX CSC Agent 10:49am, Sunday 10th September 2006
Dear Mr Clark,
Our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is 1728.

During the life of your product BT will periodically alter your download speed to what they consider your line to be capable of at the time. This can happen due to fluctuations in noise and the consequent reductions or improvements to the quality of your line as a result of this.

From time to time your equipment may report a significantly higher sync rate than this. This is not necessarily an issue as it can take BT a number of days to upgrade your download speed after a period of deterioration. In these instances we suggest you reboot your equipment once a day for a period of 5 days to allow your connection to retrain.

Please note that if BT has not yet set your download speed, your Data Transfer Rate value will be set to 2000 by default. There is a problem that BT are aware of whereby some customers are not having their download speed set even after the first 14 days of ‘Up to 8Mb’ service. If you affected in this manner please notify us so we can raise the issue with BT on your behalf.

Customers on ‘Up to 8Mb’ should note that Broadband DSL Max is a rate-adaptive technology, and that data throughput (BRAS Data Rate) will vary dynamically according to technical issues affecting your line speed. Customer Support will not be able to influence this value where the data rate is not a ‘fault’. If you believe you are experiencing a broadband fault, please use the Fault self-test tool via the Help Assistant. This will allow you to run some basic tests and raise a fault if required.

It should also be noted that Maximum Stable Rate (MSR) is a value determined during the initial 10 day period after Max is provided, and is used as a benchmark for future fault investigation. This value is NOT a guarantee of consistent speeds. Please read the ‘Get Ready for High-speed Broadband’ page for further details.

The speed at which your modem or router connects to your broadband connection is known as your SYNC Rate. This is independent of the BRAS data transfer rate (throughput).

Kind Regards,
XXXX XXXXXX

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 8:17am, Thursday 14th September 2006
Still not reverted to expected speed - please expidite as soon as possible.

I quote from your website

BT will accept a fault report if the line rate drops by 30% or more from your established MSR, this is said to be below the Fault Threshold Rate. e.g. if the MSR during the first 10 days is determined as 5000kbps, a fault can be reported when your sync speed drops to 3500kbps or less.

Your comment 1:28pm, Friday 15th September 2006
Cough!

XXXX XXXXXX CSC Agent 1:41am, Saturday 16th September 2006
Dear Mr Clark,
Please can you carry out a minimum of 3 speedtests using the BT provided tool - instructions for which can be found at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Please try the test at least 3 times at 30 minute intervals to prove the results are consistent. As per BT's instructions at least one of these tests should be performed between the hours of midnight and 7am to avoid the possibility of contention at your exchange being the cause of the problem. If the fault cannot be proven to be evident outside peak hours (When contention can be an issue), BT are unlikely to accept the fault.

You should also check the following:

1. That your system has been scanned for viruses - ensure your software has the latest definitions and try an online scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com

2. That you have tested the connection when plugged directly into your master phone socket and all other telephony devices are detached ie nothing else is connected to the phone circuit. You must also test with an alternative microfilter. This is very important and failure to perform these tests may result in abortive BT callout charges. Let us know if the speed is equally slow in this instance.

3. Can/have you tested an alternate modem/router or have you tested your equipment at another ADSL enabled location?

4. Please also ensure you have checked for trojans and spyware on your system (or any other PCs connected to your network if there are any) to ensure that these are not causing any additional traffic which may be slowing your system down.

5. If you are running a wireless network, ensure it is secured from external access so that no one else can use your connection. Please ensure you test the speed when hardwired to the router.

6. Please ensure that you've tested the connection with all firewalls lowered to see if this helps.

7. Also, please ensure that your hardware is uninstalled and reinstalled if a USB/PCI modem, or reset to firmware defaults and reconfigured if a router.

Regards,
XXXX XXXX

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 7:13am, Saturday 16th September 2006
i will attempt these tests...

However...

My rate has been stable at 1500, for some months, speed dropped to 1000 despite synch of 2.2 to 3.2mb. Have rebooted router regularly to force change since sat last week. I believe bras (BT) is stuck

I dont have a master socket...
ringwire etc was dc'd some months ago

BT tests prev show speed of 942 - please respond to ticket faster than 36 hours each time I though CS was improving!

Your comment 9:51am, Saturday 16th September 2006
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2432 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 930 kbps

Your comment 11:22am, Saturday 16th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2368 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 911 kbps

Your comment 11:28am, Saturday 16th September 2006
Broadband Link – Statistics

Statistics
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 2368 kbs 448 kbs
Max Rate: 2560 kbs 928 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin 5.0 dB 21.0 dB
Current Attenuation 59.2 dB 31.0 dB
Current Output Power 15.7 dB 12.1 dB

Please note SNR Holds well even down to 4.0dB

Your comment 11:36am, Saturday 16th September 2006
Broadband Link – Statistics

Statistics
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 2368 kbs 448 kbs
Max Rate: 2560 kbs 928 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin 5.0 dB 21.0 dB
Current Attenuation 59.2 dB 31.0 dB
Current Output Power 15.7 dB 12.1 dB

NOTE Connect holds well even down to 4.0dB

Your comment 9:08pm, Saturday 16th September 2006
9.08pm

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2400 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 924 kbps

Your comment 8:40am, Sunday 17th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 930 kbps

Your comment 10:33pm, Sunday 17th September 2006
Rebooted Router.

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3040 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 928 kbps

Your comment 7:29am, Monday 18th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2400 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 926 kbps

Your comment 8:50am, Monday 18th September 2006
any comments?

Your comment 12:21pm, Monday 18th September 2006
cough

Your comment 8:17pm, Monday 18th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 920 kbps

Your comment 7:44am, Tuesday 19th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3168 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 926 kbps

How about a response this is not inspiring me that cs is improving

Your comment 10:10am, Tuesday 19th September 2006
Can you please action this ticket.............

Your comment 7:06pm, Tuesday 19th September 2006
Please respond constructively this evening !

There has been enough time for you to respond.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Your comment 7:14pm, Tuesday 19th September 2006
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2496 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 858 kbps

Your comment 10:33pm, Tuesday 19th September 2006
So much for the new improved CS - guess it's forum time.. thought Id give you a chance before speaking to comms who seem to be the only people who ever get things done or understand tickets!¬

Comms Guys as you seem to be the only people to perform any customer service.... Please can I have some response.

In a nutshell - Speed dropped 9 days ago.... from MSR of 1500 which has been stable for months.. this has not reset despite daily rebooting of router morning and evenings.

My Guess is that BRAs is stuck AGAIN...

BT Availability checker says 500k or more on max, PN MSR stuck at 1mb....

I had to get ADSL guide to rectify BT database entry prior to MAX to get 1mb, then prior to MAX dc'd ringwire and changed router to ensure improved snch.

JAMES, MAND JON etc sorry to call on you again but the promised improvement in CS just aint there can you don those capes with the big P on and get this moving please.

Nothings changed my end synching from 2.2 to 3.3mb SNR 5 - 6dB - Stable at 5mb and even to 4 on occiaision completed BT speed tests as requested and NO RESPONSE or ackowledgment.
13 REPLIES
N/A

ho hum another day another lack of any cs response
N/A

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 3264 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 4.0 dB (Downstream), 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 60.3 dB (Downstream), 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 17.9 dB (Downstream), 12.2 dB (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {B5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0}
PVC Info: 0/38

Yes I know the SNR is only 4.0 but holds fine
N/A

So- No help from CS and none here...

Sad Sad Sad Sad

plusnet ca change, plusnet la meme chose
N/A

be careful...they will set one of their recent graduates on you and make you do the list.

1. please check that your router is switched on

2. please make sure your phone line works

3. please waste more of your time

etc.
to 30.
N/A

LMAO bin there before, didnt keep the t-shirt

However have been steady at 1.5mb (for ages) until 11 days ago....

Did previously have a ticket open for a month querying why my speed was not higher but lost the will to live and closed it.
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

I have replied to your ticket for you.

Cheers.
N/A

Thanks Liam for your response but the point is missed.

Dear Mr Clark,
The BT Speedtester that you appear to be using is still in beta.

We do need speedtests when connected directly to BT to test the connection to the exchange.

These are documented in the tutorial my colleague has already linked you to : http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Please would you perform these tests at least 3 times. With at least one being at peak time (in the evening), and one between midnight and 7am (morning).

We can then get this escalated for you.

Regards,
xxxx xxxxxxx

Your comment 11:35am, Wednesday 20th September 2006
Ahh.. Was hoping for a meaningful response... not another delaying tactic....

THE PROBLEM IS A STUCK BRAS........

All BT tests which I have been carrying out on regular basis (ie Beta where you dont have to logon and the one where you have to log off and log back onto speedtest etc show a similar rate to the ones above. ie) in the low 900's and have done since the start There is not a difference between PNs MSR and BTs profile.

PLEASE ACTION THIS...

Iam at work.... I am fed up with the time taken to respond.... further tests mean further delay which I am sick to the teeth of..

James
Grafter

He's not missing the point.

You need to run a few speedtests proving that the bRAS is the problem, potherwise BT will come back to us 2 days later and say that you haven't run any, which will probably infuriate you even more.
N/A

James I have run bloody millions. well tens Shocked .. regularly every day....

At all times the rate is the same within 10k (ie Low 900s)

BT have always seemed to classify my line incorrectly...
Had to get adsl guide to tell them it should have been 1mb not 512 in pre-max days
James
Grafter

Hi again,

Sorry if we're going around in circles again.

Have you run any of the old style BT Tests, because if you're only running the beta version, that would be why the results aren't showing up in any of the tests that I have run.
Liam
Grafter

You need to run the proper BT Speedtest as advised. The speedtester you are using is in Beta.

BT require evidence of these tests (they are logged) before they will investigate.
N/A

if they are logged then they will be on their system already from the period prior to ticket being raised 11 days ago to last night.

I will run these again this evening. and 1st thing tommorrow morning.... Can PN CS try and avoid waiting for days and days prior to responding further after all this is the new improved CS, isnt it?

I should not have to resort to forums and Comms to get a ticket looked at within a reasonable period. Unfortunately my experience of tickets over the last 6 months has said otherwise... How are the improvements progressing.
N/A

thanks for your help James and Liam BTW