cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much for being at the front of the "queue"

N/A

I just discovered that the DSLAM I'm connected to at the exchange is included in the MaxDSL trial but I'm not included in the trial. But I'm still paying for the 4Mb service.

Wouldn't it make sense to put people who are already paying for the service on the trial first?

No doubt this is all BT's doing but surely Plus Net must have some input into the process. They have customers (me!) on that DSLAM that they are taking money from for a 4Mb service and it's there for the asking now! How about suggesting to BT that they include Plus Net's paying customers in the trial? Hmm?
35 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

At present the trial has not been public so we have had no influence in choosing who has taken part. At the start of the trial (and again part way through) we were approached by BT with details of the users they wanted to take part, we then contacted them and advised them of this.

The next stages of the trial will be more public so we will be able to get people in your position to take part in it.
N/A

?
The next stages of the trial

Sounds like those who say 2006 may be right.
Any answers from the meeting with BTW earlier this week that Neil spoke of?
N/A

This is why I said 2006 is almost guaranteed, was shot down by PN but of course the fact this is still early trying wasn't mentioned. It just infuriates me more that the trials are still not near completion and yet PN still feel it's ok to take money for products that are clearly nowhere near ready.
N/A

Misleading 4/8MB service?? Ivan

Hi,

This is a common mistake or misunderstanding due to lots of hype about a 4/8MB service. I too have said on many occations that in my opinion ordinary users wont see a BT 4MB or 8MB service before 2006 (IMO not before April or May and possibly even as late as June or July 2006) and each time I said this I was shot down in flames as nonsense!!

I dont know how PlusNet can offer a 4MB service and take money from custtomers it when the service doesnt even exsist yet in the UK on BT's network (excluding LLU by Bulldog & UKOnline and the like). Frankly its dishonest, & indefencable to do so, not only that buts its VERY bad business practise and I'm sure if trading standards got to heard about it they would have something to say about it. Customers shouldnt be mislead by product or service descriptions, nor should an ISP hide behined the old scam of "Oh its in black & white and you should have read the T&C before signing up". Product & service terms and conditions should be clear honest and transparent and not baffle novice or new users. i.e. NOT hide behined techno babble or confusing techical language.

**Frankly IMO PlusNet does itself no favours by charging for a non exsistent service no matter what so called promises it might make for a future 4/8MB service. Come on PN dont you think its time to come clean and stop taking money form naive customers who fell for this marketing ploy!! Come with draw this product/service UNTIL it does become available!! Come clean about it??

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
Alecto
Grafter

so, kipaul, why don't you ring up and get the free downgrade to the £21.99 Premier up to 2Mb package and save yourself some money? It will be effective from your next billing date and you won't get a refund for what you've overpaid in the meantime.
N/A

I'm considering this now. But I can't get a striaght answer as to if and when I might be put on this trial. Might it be next week, next month, next year!

Sods law says I'll shift down to the £21.99 service and then they'll expand the 4/8mb trial and I'll have to pay another £14.99 to upgrade again!

Just to clarify the situation. I'm not a typical gullible non-savvy customer because I'm on this service. I upgraded in April to what was then sold as the 2mb FUP account with 50Gb download/month. This is the main reason why I upgraded because I would have been left on a 30Gb download limit otherwise. At the same time it was clearly implied that the 4/8mb service was coming "soon" as in sometime this summer. So, the FUP was withdrawn at the last minute and then free upgrades were dished out to 2Mb. I hung onto the hope that maybe I'd at least get the 4Mb service sooner rather than later.

In all, I've been royally screwed. I upgraded to a non-existent FUP download limit and consequently signed up for a non-existent bandwidth service.
N/A

A recent BT announcement (not sure if it ever made it to the press pages, but certainly made it to the customer news pages) stated that public trials will commence in Sebtember this year.

The number of exchanges will be limited (beleved to be the same ones on the closed trial) but will slowly expand.

If normal BT trials are anything to go by, the potential for very widespread public access could be as soon as November this year.

However, having also seen BT like to perform a holiday freeze for the Xmas period (where only emergancy and essential work is performed, not the likes of this sort of rollout), there may be the possibility of it being delayed until Jan 2006.

Do not hold me to this. Part is based on actual BT statements, and the experiances seen in BT trials performed within the last 2 years.
Community Veteran

My guess is that nothing will happen with the 4-8meg trials until after all the bulk upgrades have been done. Which we are now told could run into November to do the Mopping up of missed customers.

This would make sense to me as it would make life complicated and awkward if some people were still waiting for to up to 2meg upgrade and you had others already flying along at 4-8meg.
So I dont hold out any hope for the higher speeds until probably early 2006 at the soonest.
N/A

Hi Again,

OK I'll stick my neck out again and say IMO nobody will actually get a BT 4/8MB service before April May 2006 earliest (& probably knowing BT june july 2006 in actuality). Yes! I agree with you John about completion of the bulk upgrades first though.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

But I know that my DSLAM is on the current closed trial so if the public trial is about to start in September then I'll stay on the 4Mb service as I'll save £14.99 now having to regrade back up if I go down to £21.99. It's not a straight cut and dried decision. Although at the moment I'd just be happy with a solid, reliable 2Mb connection.
N/A

kipaul.

I will add here, the release from BT stated a public trial, but didn't give detail on what this meant.

So if or not you can get it, will remain to be seen.
N/A

Perhaps the fact that there has been no announcement about the meeting this week with BTw would indicate that things may not be going as hoped. Your neck may not be stuck out that far Ivan. Smiley
N/A

Would be good if Dave or Bob could let us know what happened at the bT meeting.
Saves lots of speculation and rumors and shows that PN are not adverse to keeping their customers informed!
N/A

BT MAXDSL trails yet again Ivan

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments!!, the thing I get a wee bit concerned about is everyone seems to assume the BT trials "will be a great success!" but hang on a minute nobody stops to consider what if the trials are a complete and utter disaster? what if the BT trials are a failure, the way people talk is as if the whole MAXDSL thing is a dead certainty, ITS NOT!! and I wish users would stop making such assumptions. Nobody but BT themselves know how successful the trials will be, & even more annoying is that fact that BT dont tell the user community very much at all at the best of times, so were all still waiting & its still a mystery which is why there is so much pure speculation about the whole process & timing. Just another typical BT way to communicate with customers or NOT I think!!

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator