cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So glad I'm on a prioritised product... NOT!

N/A

I'm currently paying £65.99 per month for the HomeWorker Pro package.

Up until the start of this year everything has been fine with both the general serive and speeds throughout the whole day. However since the start of the year things have taken a dramatic downturn.

These claims are made about my product:

"Teleworker customers get a prioritised service at all times"

and

"Teleworker gives you a high-quality business class broadband service. You'll get speed and professional performance whether you're emailing or downloading large files."

At the moment I'm unable to receive any emails at all!

I have for at least 6 days this month experienced seriously sub par speeds. The PN speed tests shows my current speed as 1944.1 kbps which seems fine, but the speed test on ADSL Guide can be seen here:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=98b887f2108fe0076417d340932

The ADSL results seem to more accurately reflect what i'm actually experiencing which is actually better than some other days I've had.

I know there have been a lot of previous posts about speed issues, but when these are occurring on the higher end products surely PN need to look at their overall network management philosophy and how it is being implemented.

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully the more people that relay their experiences, the more notice these issues may receive.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

have you tried the bt speed tester to determine where abouts any faults may lie?

instructions are available at: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

If the PlusNet speed tester is OK there is no point in trying the BT one as any problems must be at or after PlusNet
N/A

Ok, I have carried out the BT speed test and it reports:

"You have downloaded a 1.75Mb file at a speed of 1959 kilo bits per second"

To me this would be what I'd expect. I have also re-run the speed test on ADSL Guide and still get a similar result to before

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=767da7df108fe52caf94bb584fd

In my eyes the fault would seem to rest with PN, but I may be wrong.
Community Veteran

i apologise i did just skim through your post and did miss some parts so the bt one was obviously a bit of a forgon conclusion!

I think there is some sort of fault with the AdslGuide speed checker as I seem to be getting results from it that are inconsitent with other download speeds i am getting
N/A

Sunrise73: Well put! Now, are users with other ISPs in your area having similar problems?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

strathbungo1 says there may be a problem with the ADSLGuide tester here. The problem you have with email, do you get any error messages at all indicating why it's not working? Also what else are you seeing speed issues with? For example, is it affecting web browsing, or P2P or FTP downloads or everything?
Sproglet
Grafter

Try some of the other speedtests and see if they give similar results.

A good list can be found here
N/A

I think we have all tried that now!
Community Veteran

in order to obtain fair results i suggest using: http://speedtest.bulldogdsl.com it seems to give accurate results unlike a few of them

i get a much better speed result more like what I am seeing on my connection this now:

Time to download: 24.156 seconds
File size: 5040KB
Throughput: 1702.5 kilobits per second
Throughput: 208.6 kilobytes per second
N/A

Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to read my first posts on these forums.

I have checked a few applications and web browsing seems to be ok. FTP seems to be very slow and P2P (something i had given up on for previously consistent bad speeds) is topping 150Kb/s.

I have also recently been experiencing occassional problems on XBOX Live.

With regards to email i only receive the 'Your POP3 Server has not responded in 60 seconds' error (Account: mail.plus.net, Server: mail.plus.net).

I hope this information will be of some help.
Sproglet
Grafter

Got to be honest the best one I've found is:
http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Seems to be very accurate most of the time and I've tried it through several clients accounts on various ISPs. Some very interesting results.
Community Veteran

With regards to email i only receive the 'Your POP3 Server has not responded in 60 seconds' error (Account: mail.plus.net, Server: mail.plus.net).

Are you running any firewall software?
Community Veteran

Got to be honest the best one I've found is:
http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Seems to be very accurate most of the time and I've tried it through several clients accounts on various ISPs. Some very interesting results.

The reason I dont like using american speedtesters is the distance can be a factor leading to inaccurate results
N/A

Are you running any firewall software?

Yes, Norton Internet Security 2006, but this has been working without any issues uptil now.....

I will however temporarilly switch it off and give it a try.