cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snail Connection - comp to blame or plusnet?

N/A

I've had plusnet plus account for about a year with no real problems.

However, the last week it's been going very VERY slow. Some sites won't let me connect at all (presume they're time outs). I've also noticed on my Voyager 205 Router the Ethernet light is flashing constantly (2 flashes per second) it doesn't usually do this does it? I've checked the ethernet connections, seem ok. But the green light on the back of my comp where the ethernet cable goes in is also flashing frantically.

Is this a service issue? (ng27 area) or is my computer to blame? It's very frustraiting, taken me nearly 20 mins to navigate to this forum. I tried calling but nearly lost the will to live trying to go through the maze of the automated system.

Cheers for any help
20 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

My connections suddenly ground to a halt over the last week too. Before that it was flying, it slowed down sometime on sat i think...
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Snail Connection - comp to blame or plusnet?

It sounds as though you have something which is either uploading or downloading constantly. Have you run a virus check etc.?

However, the last week it's been going very VERY slow. Some sites won't let me connect at all (presume they're time outs). I've also noticed on my Voyager 205 Router the Ethernet light is flashing constantly (2 flashes per second) it doesn't usually do this does it? I've checked the ethernet connections, seem ok. But the green light on the back of my comp where the ethernet cable goes in is also flashing frantically.

Is this a service issue? (ng27 area) or is my computer to blame? It's very frustraiting, taken me nearly 20 mins to navigate to this forum. I tried calling but nearly lost the will to live trying to go through the maze of the automated system.

Cheers for any help
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The best thing to do is run a speedtest, this will show the speed of your connection. It would be best to carry out a normal speedtest, and then carry out the BT one, as this eliminates any network issue and will show where the slowdown is. Instructions on how to do this are here

Let us know the results and we will take it from there for you.
N/A

Hi Mand,

Could you check my speed test results please to see if you think there is a seperate fault? I'm averaging around 160 to 300k at peak and off peak (4-5mb sync). The details are in the fault i have open but this is mainly for the random d/c's. Speed has been excellent until about saturday now its very laggy and slow.

Thanks in advance.

Nicky

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
James
Grafter

Re: Snail Connection - comp to blame or plusnet?

Hi there,

I've just run some checks on your connection, and it does appear to be holding connectivity, albeit disconnected currently, so I'm not getting a massive amount of information.

My initial suggestion would be to run a couple of BT Speedtests as shown here:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
James
Grafter

Hi,

My connections suddenly ground to a halt over the last week too. Before that it was flying, it slowed down sometime on sat i think...
Hiya,

Your service is provided on the Tiscali LLU network.

Can you try changing your filters and connecting to your master socket (via the test socket behind the master faceplate if possible) and then submitting a fault to http://faults.plus.net if the problem remains.
N/A

Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried changing the filters, and diconnecting everything as usual. I have a fault open for the disconnections so i didnt think i could raise a second. All was fine (apart from the d/c's) speedwise until last weekend...

Cheers
Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules[/color
N/A

Yes, mine started playing up on saturday and ever since it's been a nightmare. the flashing green light on the modem is driving me up the wall. there's obviously something wrong somewhere. will have to do a speed test when i get home as on works comp at the moment,
craigbrass
Grafter

I have the same issue on Tiscali LLU. The problem seams to be that LLU customers only have the option of ONE gateway. Before when a gateway got clammed up and slow, I would gateway hop. Now with LLU it doesn't make any difference if I do.

It is insane. I boot up Thunderbird and I have enough time to prepair and eat a 3 course meal while my emails are! Before it was POP3 / IMAP / P2P / FTP that was slow, now email seams to need adding to the list.

So glad I will soon be back on BT Wholesale!
N/A

problem loading page

I have had similar problems for last few days. A lot of site will not load and I get the message "problem loading page".

Something badly wrong somewhere. Plusnet speed test is ok.

Help!
N/A

i just reinstalled xp didn't lose much as recently installed again anyway. Problem seems to be sorted back to normal speed. Think mine was a CPU problem,
N/A

What is the point of the Help Assistant?

I experienced a similar problem a week ago (decent speed of 1.5mb dropping to 300 kbs) after a year of good service.

I ran speed tests over several days, following all the steps and additional tests via the Help Assistant which raised a ticket and 'escalated to the correct team for review'.. Which team would that be? The one that sits there and ignores tickets for a week without the slightest interest in providing any feedback?

Since then (last Sunday) I've heard nothing.

This forums seem like the only way to get any sort of feedback or progress so what is the point of raising tickets etc?

Does anyone have any idea why the speed should drop?

I've tried my router on another connection (fine), upgraded the firmware, changed the filters and connected to the master socket... No difference.

Thanks for any advice on this...

Patrick
essenby
Grafter

There may be light at the end of the tunnel folks. I too was having dialup connection speeds (120-130K!) over broadband (MAX-DSL non LLU) but magically last night it shot back up to 1.5M!

"Who knows the secret of the Black Magic (BT) Box" :?:
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,

patmartin008, I have raised your fault to the supplier for further investigation. We should have an update within 72 hours.