cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowly, steadily we move at Plusnets pace....?

N/A

I’ve been with plusnet for 4 weeks. Apart from constant disconnections, slow email delivery, poor customer service via telephone, email etc I've generally been quite unimpressed with the ISP as a whole. But being a good guy I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve had some warning messages about getting to my limit of 8 GB for the month, peak hours (whatever the package is £22 per month or something). Prior to this my speeds were 320kbs/downlaod via usenet, very good I thought. Last few days Usenet speeds have dropped to 110kbs at midnight. I’m still about 8.5 GB and its 12.30am so I thought Id set a download going. I don’t really care about the speed what I want to know is……..

Is this some kind of cap plusnet have implemented?
5 REPLIES
N/A

More than likely its contention. midnight is when all the limits come off and people start their scheduled downloads so the bandwidth gets a bit clogged
N/A

More than likely its contention. midnight is when all the limits come off and people start their scheduled downloads so the bandwidth gets a bit clogged

its down to a steady 120 even now? Its been 320 since joining and overnight 120kbs, I dont get it?
JonathanW
Grafter

If you've only had the email about 8GB of peak time usage, then you're not being managed just yet. When you're getting the slower usenet speeds, what are speeds on other protocols such as web browsing like? If these are low as well, then it sounds like there might be a fault somewhere on your line, or it could be exchange contention.

The next step would be to run some tests using the BT checker, instructions for which are here. If these are very low as well, contact the support team and they'll be able to take a look at it for you.
N/A

If you've only had the email about 8GB of peak time usage, then you're not being managed just yet. When you're getting the slower usenet speeds, what are speeds on other protocols such as web browsing like? If these are low as well, then it sounds like there might be a fault somewhere on your line, or it could be exchange contention.

The next step would be to run some tests using the BT checker, instructions for which are here. If these are very low as well, contact the support team and they'll be able to take a look at it for you.

Thanks,

Its 120 kbs for everything. Ive left a web ticket. They are supposed to be sending a bt engineer out anyway due to the disconnections?
JonathanW
Grafter

It could well be down to the same fault, if its started happening recently. So I'd suggest runing some BT speed checks after the engineer has come out to look at the fault that you've already reported. If speeds are back up, then all is well, but if they're still down then you'd have to come back to us.