cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

mrchalk
Grafter

Slow speeds

Since about a week ago, my download speed has been getting progressively worse. I usually get 450-500kbps dl at night from news groups but its went to 180 or so now. the 180 is constant on the newsgrabber graph.

Id really appreciate if anyone could look into this and let me know if they can see anything at all without doing all that speedtest after midnight malarky.

Many thanks

mrchalk
6 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Slow speeds

Hi there,

Your IP profile has been fluctuating between 3000 and 1500 for the last couple of days, have you added anything to the line recently?

It would be worth doing the master socket test (plug the router into the master socket and unplug everything else from the line) as this will show any internal wiring problem.

Failing that if you can give us your line stats we may be able to shed a little further light on things for you.
James
Grafter

Slow speeds

Hi there,

As Mand has said, your profile has been fluctuating a bit recently, which would also suggest fluctuations in your synchronisation speeds (connection speed from router to exchange). You are currently on a 1500Kbps profile at the BT end.

Your synchronisation speed is currently @ 3808Kbps, which would put you ona 3000Kbps profile. however, this would only happen if you maintain this synchronisation speed for at least the next 3 days. If you resynchronise again at a lower level, the profile will be reset again within 75 minuntes.

As Max is very fickle, it is imperative for you to get the best signal possible to ensure that you are getting the speeds that you should. As Mand has suggested, trying changing your filter and ensuring that you are connected into your BT Master (or preferrably test socket behind the master faceplate) socket.
mrchalk
Grafter

Slow speeds

Cheers Mand & James for the replies. I am connected to the master socket but for the past month or so i have had the 360 wired up to the router as well to go on live. 360 is on for a few hours some days but hasnt been used in the past 3 or 4 days & when its not on, the 360 is unplugged. Dont know if this could affect anything. Anyway, will give it a while and see what happens eh? Not the end of the world, but just frustrating Cry

Cheers folks! Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Slow speeds

James wrote quite an extensive blog post on the joys of MaxDSL and the speed issues that may arise with it, you can find this here:-
Link
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
James
Grafter

Slow speeds

The 360 won't have any affect on your synchronisation speeds.
mrchalk
Grafter

Slow speeds

Cheers folks for all the help thus far. I dont have a clue how to get the line stats (i think i was to take them from the router or something, i cant remember - is that right?) er... anyway speed has dropped to 140kpbs today & basically seems to be getting worse everyday. I have been maxed for ages now & ive only had one problem before (due to me wiring a second socket) which my good friend Liam (from plusnet) sorted out really quickly & efficently.

I ran the bt speedtester yesterday & today. It was saying my line profile was 1500 yesterday, a few hours ago it said it was 3000 but my speed has got worse in between it rising...

So, im sure you guys will know what to do next?? Smiley