cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds yesterday? 16.5.06

N/A

Hi

I was experiencing some very slow speeds on our connection yesterday, especially during off-peak hours. This was across the whole range of the connection from P2P to general web browsing.

This seems to be an intermittant problem. The connection has not yet been changed over to ADSL Max (checked router settings).

Was wondering if anyone else has had same probs?

On Broadband Premier Option 1 by the way.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Did you try running the BT speed test? It could be exchange problems (especially if heavy users on your exchange have been maxed).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I've been getting very slow speeds for about a week now (60-70k), I raised a ticket & was asked the usual (modem/router/master socket) questions & then all of a sudden it shot up to 160-170k !

Still not as fast as it has beeen though (usually get around 243k).

I'm on Premier option 1 waiting to go to MaxAdsl (checker says I should get around 5.5mb eventually).

Strange thing was the router connecting around 8000k last week & now it's back down to around 2236k.

Left it switched off overnight to see if this made a difference - it hasn't - still slow.
N/A

Yes I have checked the exchange status and there have been no reported problems. But I do know for a fact that our exchanged has been MaxDSL enabled v.recently.
N/A

Are you on the trial period for Max DSL at the moment as your router synching 8000
then going down suggests you may be on the 10 training period.
N/A

I requested a queue jump if that's what you mean by the trial period.

It seems to be unbelivably slooowwww though!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@trouserhouse

I'm very sceptical about how up to date the exchange checker information is - frequently the "last updated" date is some weeks ago and things are changing fast at the minute.

The only real check is to disconnect, connect using the login name of speedtest@speedtest_domain and run the BT speedtest when you are seeing the slow speeds. That totally eliminates the Plusnet network.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Well if you got same problem as I have nothing to do with MaxDSL as I have been constantly checking the router sync and I haven't yet seen it at 8000, still reading 2MB speeds.