cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds again!!!

N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

Yet again I am plagued by slow speeds this seems to be random any one else getting this

22 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Slow speeds again!!!

If you run the BT Speedtester what does it say for your IP Profile?

Phil
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Slow speeds again!!!

Looks like something happened at 5.30am this morning causing a poor sync. Due to this the BT equipment at the exchange has set the line speed to 160. If your modem/router syncs higher for 3-5 days the speed will automatically increase again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
tcs2000
Grafter

Slow speeds again!!!

Just done a speed test on here and less than 200. :roll:
Should be 1900+
Disconnected and reconnected and now my speed is back up to 1885!
Why is this happening?
I'm not using a router just an internal PCI card!
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

my upload is way better than the download. James was it my local exchange with the issue at 5.30am or was it BT in general

N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

My router reports
DownStream Connection Speed 1824 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Slow speeds again!!!

Just done a speed test on here and less than 200. :roll:
Should be 1900+
Disconnected and reconnected and now my speed is back up to 1885!
Why is this happening?
I'm not using a router just an internal PCI card!

Could be that the line resync'd at a very low rate, but if it was just a one off for a few minutes then the blip logic at the exchange will have kicked in and put the throughput speed back up again.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Slow speeds again!!!

my upload is way better than the download. James was it my local exchange with the issue at 5.30am or was it BT in general

It's more likely to be something specific to your line. Something caused your line to resync this morning at a low rate, that could be anything from incorrectly wiring and filters or a noise spike on the line from something like central heating causing interference or the weather. Tough to say really, does the time help at all?
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

result from BT speedtester

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 152 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1824 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 114 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Slow speeds again!!!

What speed is your modem/router syncing at now? If it is considerably higher than 160 and stays this way then the BT equipment will up your profile. Unfortunately until this happens we cannot do much more.

James post might help understand MAX dsl.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

On the BT Speedtester, what format should my user name be entered as?

I've tried a number of permutations but keep being rejected as not matching, and my connection is so slow it takes a while to find out that I'm still not entering whatever it is that it wants.
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

Chris Dave and James,

I wasn't up at 5.30 nor was anyone else so there has been no changes to connections etc, I don't understand how central heating could be a factor! Line still says the following. Speed is still 128Kbs

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 1824 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

On the BT Speedtester, what format should my user name be entered as?

The username for the BT Speedtester is the same as the one you use for your router or USB modem.

Usually this is in the form <username>@plus.net
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Slow speeds again!!!

I wasn't up at 5.30 nor was anyone else so there has been no changes to connections etc, I don't understand how central heating could be a factor! Line still says the following. Speed is still 128Kbs

Something caused the line to resync around that time, it could be one of probably thousands of things and doesn't necessarily need anyone to be awake or using the connection at the time to cause the drop.

In all likelihood you'll probably never know what it was and in a couple of days the throughput rate will go back up again and stay back up.

The reason for suggesting central heating was because I'm trying to think of something that might happen at that time of the morning, the switching on (or off) of central heating or different types of lights can sometimes be enough to cause interference on the phone line. Other things that could be would include things like faulty or incorrectly set up wiring and filters, which could suggest a Sky box calling home overnight?
N/A

Slow speeds again!!!

Thanks Dave, Central heating is on constant not timed, we have a small baby. Ok Sky Box could be the culprit I am going to unplug its phone connection and wait a couple of days. Still on 128K if after a couple of days things have not improved where do I go from here?