cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

What the hell is going on with the speeds tonight?

My connection is atrocious.Did a speed test on ADSL Guide and it said I was getting 627Kbps on a 2 meg connection.

Marvellous Plusnet,you're excelling yourselves tonight.

Suppose I'll get the usual "run a BT speed test" crap!!!!!!
17 REPLIES
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Yes, lets blame plusnet for everything why dont we when it could be

1. Contention
2. A bad link between you and adsl guide
3. AG servers are hammered tonight
4. User equipment issue or Load issue or heavey network traffic at users end

Yes, it must be plusnet </sarcasim>

Right seriously m8, goto the usertools.plus.net site and run through the problem diag stuff. Ur paying for a 50:1 contented product and as far as i can see thats what ur getting, even at those speeds its well below 50:1 so not alot u can complain about.

IF bt speedtester comes back showing ok, then try ag speed test again, and while ur att it try a different speed test incase its a bad link somewhere.

Then report back
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

I have to wonder at the timing af the SUP and slow speeds being reported by a "few" customers and +net going into the VOIP with Plus Talk, they have to make sure that runs at full speed otherwise they will not get the customer base that they will need to justify going into this "new" area of business.
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

PlusTalk is in the gold cue so it wont really see any slowdowns even at peak.

Yes some users are having issues but most arnt SUP related... well that not including usenet users which is a different matter
N/A

Slow speeds

I'm on 1.55mbps at present - slower than 2mbps but....I do have a 50:1 contention ration and it's faster than the old dial up.... and its been fairly reliable....and I think all in all it's very good value.

You might want to try the diagnostic links or examine the ADSL connection as advised.

Plusnet have their challenges, but my broadband speed isn't yet one of them, even though my connection speeds have dropped from 1.89mbps over the past five months to their current level.

Good luck with the diagnostic
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Getting pings of almost a second in Counterstrike:Source tonight.

I think I'm gonna blame LameNet. Not my router, not contention, not sunspots or fairies at the end of the garden. No, this shower is who I'm going to blame.
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

I suppose scrae88 speed is good and not the speeds of others such as mine up and down like a yo yo down to 643 on 2 mb primier from 1820 over several weeks tested om bt other sites and times, raised a ticket but no joy like it or leave and that was after waiting days, and then not cs but B.Brown who informed me
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

My download speeds and general browsing experience have plumeted over the last few days too. Whats worse though is that although it's pretty obvious that something's going on due to all the complaints here on the boards - customer support are saying that there's nothing they can do unless I do three speed tests between 12am and 7am.

Seems like they've found a nice little get-out clause there as there's not many people able to stay up all night in order to run these tests.

If this rubbish connection doesn't sort itself out by the end of the week I'm definately going to look for a more reliable ISP.

Paul.
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Normally do not complain but speeds are deteriorating. Normally 80-90%, but today and yesterday averaging 50% + or -, so low that ADSL think that I am on 1Mb. :?
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

I downloaded an MP3 at 16:30 Getting 230kbs. Now I'm getting 18kbs. There's absolutely no point in trying to download anything between 5pm and Midnight. Looks like I'll have to burn the midnight oil again.
What a fantastic service.
N/A

I'm not happy either

I transferred to PlusNet a couple of weeks back from Nildram. I'm now getting significantly slower speeds, even though the contention ratio is better here at PlusNet. Also, I've now just suffered my second outage in a week, yet I was with Nildram for two years and only had one outage in that time. I'm using the same phone line, the same number, the same exchange and the same router etc. The only thing that's changed is swapping Nildram for PlusNet.

I'm not a happy bunny and I think PlusNet needs to act quickly to restore my earlier faith in them.
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Any comments from PlusnetHuhHuhHuh Shocked
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Right I'm reporting back:

Yes I can confirm srae88 that after running 3 different tests that my speeds are sh**!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna jump ship soon and see what other ISP's offer.

Telewest seems to have amazing speeds and I don't mind paying extra for a QUALITY service.
N/A

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

Just been doing some testing and in my case it seems to be related to P2P apps.

If I run a p2p thats only downloading at a measily 10kbps the speed of my connection drops significantly. Speed tests whilsts running p2p result in less than 300kbps. Just closing the p2p app and running another test straight away results in much faster speed tests > 1900kbps.

Have PN started defining which applications we can use as well as how much bandwidth we can use? I can live with a bandwidth limit and I don't usually come anywhere near my fair usage figures, but limiting my whole connection including general browsing because I run a p2p app seems very unfair.

Is this what's happening? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Paul.
Community Veteran

Slow speeds (again!!!!)

If I run a p2p thats only downloading at a measily 10kbps the speed of my connection drops significantly. Speed tests whilsts running p2p result in less than 300kbps. Just closing the p2p app and running another test straight away results in much faster speed tests > 1900kbps.

Hmmm! Yer that seems odd! :?