cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds after 6PM

N/A

Slow speeds after 6PM

My P2P drops to almost zero (average 0.5k/s) both directions just after 6PM, it picks up again sometime after midnight.
This has been going on for weeks, anyone else experiencing this? It pushes all my P2P download time into peak. causing me to hit management levels.

I'm on the £21.99 a month package.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Slow speeds after 6PM

It sounds like a very likely candidate for exchange contention tbh.

BTW if you find your speed becomes so poor at 18:00hours until midnight..................then how exactly does that push your P2P into peak time? :?
N/A

Slow speeds after 6PM

Good point about thew peak times, I'd just been reading up on peak times and limits, and got myself confused a bit.

If it was a contention issue, wouldn't I experience an average of about 5KB/s (40kb) on a 50:1, assuming absolutely everyone was going flat out?

I just started downloading The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II Demo via normal web browsing and am getting 100KB/s.

Seems like P2P is being throttled big time somehow.
N/A

Slow speeds after 6PM

i noticed exactly this late last year when the limits were introduced and my monthly bill hadnt reset. now im experiencing slow p2p and crap gaming, im nowhere near my limits (as usual) and reset at billing isnt going to do anything... do as i am dave, look for another ISP
N/A

Slow speeds after 6PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the contention limits, BT aren't using those to distinguish products any more, so neither are PlusNet (subject to a few upcoming changes to a few webpages).
P2P(and other bandwidth hungry usage) will be limited, especially during peak times, due to traffic managemen. Gaming on the other hand is low bandwidth and latency sensitive, exactly the sort of usage that the traffic management is supposed to benefit. The balances aren't quite there yet, hopefully they will be soon!