cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds - Possible contention issue?

N/A

I've just started experiencing very low download speeds. I was recently upgraded to 2MB (last weekend) and it was running fine. Today however I've noticed I'm downloading at 512 speeds - confirmed by PlusNet and BT speed test.

The router is syncing at 2MB speeds. I checked the exchange read having high contention. Can high contention cause that dramatic a drop in speeds?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Anybody any idea?
octafish
Grafter

Try rebooting your modem. Under normal circumstances I can't see this as being a contention issue, especially if it continues throughout the day.

Have you raised a CS ticket on this?

Steve
Ben_Brown
Grafter

What sort of speeds do you get on the BT speed test at quiet times, like after midnight?
N/A

Yeah, sounds like contention to me. Have BT got a fix date on the exchange? Its probably going to be slow (especially at peak times) til they sort your exchange out.
N/A

At 11:15pm last night the BT speed was 570.

As mentioned in the posts above I shall reboot the router this evening and retry the speed test after midnight.

On the exchange checker there was a fix date 21-Nov (yes in the past!). That's what made me initially think of contention, but wasn't sure if contention (I should be on 30:1) could cause that dramtic a drop.
N/A

I have also been experiencing slow speeds for the past week. It doesnt matter if its after 12 or at 4pm they are always around 14 - 28kb/s.
N/A

An update:

I ran the BT speed check again last night at 00:20 and it came back with a speed of 401kbps. So I logged a 'Contact Us' ticket and got the following response.

BT do state that speeds of 400kbps are acceptable for a 2Mb connection. Once
they have completed the planned works on the exchange you should see a noticable increase in the speeds achieved

Not quite what I'd expected - just hope BT work some magic at the exchange v.soon.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Whilst the speed you've reported there is within the limits set by BT, its only just within their limits and as such we would normally raise the fault to BT on your behalf.

As such, I'd suggest passing the ticket back, if you haven't already done so, and someone will look into it further for you.

Additionally, the engineers do require that you carry out the tests three times, so that they can get an accurate indication as to what your line is doing.