cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow

Community Veteran

My synch speed keeps jumping up and down, despite having been maxed a few months ago. I'm again trying to get BT to look at intermittant crackles on the line (as a voice call problem, not BB) and currently have both modem/router and phone plugged into the 'back' bit of the master BT socket but it's still happening there, so it's obviously nothing to do with the wired in extensions.

Rarely, I'm getting in-between synch readings but they're mostly jumping from 5500-6000 down to around 2000 and up again. Wet and windy weather seems to affect this more but BT reckon there's nothing wrong up the poles that could be causing the reported crackles so I don't know whether or not the two are related.

There doesn't seem to be any other pattern to it apart from the weather and during the hot spell a few weeks back the synching was constantly fast, with my stable rate reaching 4500. Unfortunately this only lasted a few days before it rained and I got yo-yo-ing speeds again.

Anyone care to comment? I don't want to raise it as a broadband problem yet because of the crackling which can get annoying at times and I would like to get fixed.

One odd thing is that when I first plugged the phone into the 'back' of the socket today (and the previous time I tried it), I could hear what sounded like a sports radio programme, which disappeared after BT did its 'further' line tests. I've never heard this before with this or any other phone plugged into the master socket or any of the extensions in this house, though I used to get it at our previous house with a completely different phone which was plugged into an older style BT socket. (We kept the same phone number when we moved here as it was only half a mile from the old house as the crow flies.) The BT lady I eventually spoke to today said that could happen if a cordless phone was plugged into an extension but when it happened, the front of the socket, with the extension wires attached, wasn't attached (if you see what I mean!). BTW I could hear it both with and without the wireless router plugged into the master socket.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'd be almost certain this is a line fault. I've heard a few cases like this in the past, seems to be caused by crosstalk of some kind. It's likely that somewhere between your house and the exchange there's some damage to the copper cable and it may be getting "interference" from another line.

How that picks up Talk Sport I don't know, I've heard stories of people picking up Terry Wogan on a kettle so probably not that far of a leap.

I'd stay say go back to BT Retail, just based on the crackles and see what they say next.
N/A

I've heard stories of people picking up Terry Wogan on a kettle

OT I know, but that has to be one of the most frightening things I have ever heard. :shock:

Bad enough on the radio or TV, but whilst making a brew? Horrendous.
Community Veteran

I'd say go back to BT Retail, just based on the crackles and see what they say next.

Thanks Dave, that's the sort of reply I was hoping to hear. I'm currently waiting for BT to get back to me again but they did say there were an awful lot of faults being investigated at the moment and were very busy. They were passing it onto the exchange for their engineers to look into.

At our previous house I thought the phone picking up the radio station might be something to do with the house next door having cable installed and the cable running close to our phone line, so was surprised to hear it reappear here where there's nothing anywhere near the line apart from the other telephone lines where it meets up with them on the pole along the street.
Community Veteran

BT didn't get back to me after all and they have closed my fault again without telling me. From the time quoted online, I think it was when it was supposedly passed on to the exchange engineers to sort out. The BT fault checker says it's been repaired to my satisfaction (for the second time - first was when I was told to get back to them after checking connection from master socket) but they didn't even bother to ask me if I was satisfied.

Seems as though they're just not in the least interested in sorting out my intermittent crackles.

So, I'm now going through the PlusNet automated fault checker. I'm reporting it as a speed fault and got a pathetically slow speed for the first test I did on the BT speed tester - 159 kilobits per second. As there aren't supposed to be any contention issues with the exchange (according to the auto fault checking), I'm hoping something can be found that's causing the problems. Anyway, contention shouldn't cause wildly fluctuating synch speeds, should it?