cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow p2p and BitTrnt speeds

N/A

Just connected to PlusNet broad band. Although download speeds from sites are fine, p2p and Bit Torrent speeds are very low, on average 2kbs never more than 5kbs. I think im on the basic package 50:1 contention, but surely such low speeds cannot just be due to this can it? I would at least expect 70kbs speeds out of a 2meg broadband even with the worst of packages and line contention. I am sure that it is not the router I am using as I have just exchanged it for a different model and still have the same problem. The router firewall is set up corectly. Any ideas would be really helpful!!
72 REPLIES
N/A

Welcome to PlusNet!! You have had your connection to usenet and P2P networks choked for going over the limits set out in the new Sustainable Usage Policy. The choke is only supposed to be in place between 4pm and midnight but these guys make it up as they go along. I have had my connection choked for going over in the last month despite being disconnected for two weeks and having major download problems for a month before that! No way am I anywhere near 30gigs and no way is it before midnight! Good luck!
N/A

Cheers for your speed, that cant be said for plusnet.

OK read over the forum and got a clue about whats going on, but from what I can make out, plusnet place people under management or are choked because of over useage. But I have experienced these v poor speeds from the begining. Ive only been conected to plusnet for less than a month and dare say I have downloded any more than 10megs mainly just through web browsing. I really can't see myself having 'overused'. This is bloooody poor PLusNet. Not Happy at ALL!!
N/A

p2p and bittorrent are heavily throttled on the bb+ package. In the product description it says

"we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing."

There are lots of threads on this problem with the main solution being to upgrade to the premier package. P2p and torrent are also throttled on this package but not as much.
N/A

P2P is throttled for everyone!
When you join PlusNet P2P is throttled even if they are not managing you for downloading too much.
N/A

Well Peeved

This is such a pain in the ___. This has got to be the worst ISP I have ever set my ethernet cable on. I hate it, it's not on. I hate you poonet. I bet theyre gonna cut me off completely for calling them poonet. Theyre like the Nazis of the ISP world. Choking our poor routers and PCs in extermination tanks.

I actually took alot of time and effort thinking it was my router that was the problem and even took it back to get a more expensive model.

POOR absolutely POOR Service PooNet!!
N/A

Ya know if you change to different ports on you bittorrent client, the throttleing doesnt seem to happen, just a little hint Wink
N/A

Ya know if you change to different ports on you bittorrent client, the throttleing doesnt seem to happen, just a little hint Wink

I Think the Throttling is done on deep packet inspection and NOT on ports.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Our shaping will work regardless of the port you use, however many trackers don't work well on the standard bittorrent ports so you may well find that performance is better with a different range of ports.
N/A

My advice to you would be to get out while you can.

PN do not want you to use P2P (bit-torrent/kazaa etc), because it uses too much of their limited bandwidth and they have no desire to pay more money to increase the capacity of the pipes.

You may have passed your initial 1 month period, if not then find another ISP and go quickly. It is not likely to improve soon, so take it as a lesson learnt and leg it.

I am on a yearly contract and so will have to pay the rest of the years fees to get out; i'm not happy about this, but the alternative is to put up with another 8 months of poor service and underhanded tactics.
If you are not in this position yet, then go before it ends up costing you much more.
N/A

PN do not want you to use P2P (bit-torrent/kazaa etc),

Hi,

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to point out the inacuracy of that statement, just incase it causes confusion for some other forum users.

Perhaps if it said "too much" that might be a better reflection. Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

See my response to the same comment here
N/A

See my response to the same comment here

And see my response to that response there too Wink
N/A

They maybe don't quite put it like that but by limiting the download speeds to totaly ludicrous levels at all times of day and night 5or6 k max that makes it impossible to use
N/A

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to point out the inacuracy of that statement, just incase it causes confusion for some other forum users.

Perhaps if it said "too much" that might be a better reflection. Smiley

Do you not think it might confuse forum user more if it said "too much"?
Look at the sheer number of posts from customers complaining about poor speeds, most of them confess that they are not heavy users and perhaps only download 2-3GB on P2P per month...

By this rationale, 3GB is too much.

What would you class as "too much"?