cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow off peak bittorrent speeds

N/A

I’ve been trying to download the Kieron's FPS Creator demo from Eurogamer. Usually whenever I’ve tried to download movies or demos from this site I’ve had speeds exceeding 200kbs or at least in the high 100's. I have a premier 2mb account. Lately, however, I have been getting continuous speeds of 5kbs or less through the same site. I’ve tried downloading files with lots of seeders and files I’ve downloaded before at high speeds before but get the same slow speeds. This happens even when I try off peak, although I’m told that the premier account receives little shaping. My web browsing experience has not been affected but I chose this account so that I could easily and quickly download games, trailers and demo's as this option was advertised to be p2p friendly. Obviously there is some mistake as 5kbs is an appalling speed. I can even accept on peak shaping but this is ridicules. Thank you for your time.

Aileen
18 REPLIES
N/A

i am also on premier 2mb my speeds for p2p are also rubbish peak and off peak Cry zen or bulldog looking good atm Tongue

it`s just taken me 10mins to post this reply random disconnects also!!!!!!
revgravin

Getting 3-4kb/s on premier, peak and off peak. Got better on dialup.
Disgusting!
N/A

also 4 me on premier at the moment average

upload speed 3.15
download speed 2.12

What the **** is going on with PlusNet at the moHuh??

Evil
N/A

Sorry to spoil the party, but I am getting 150-200kb/s peak and off peak, also the connection has never missed a beat..... Cheesy
N/A

I've been having similar problems. Edonkey averages 6KB/s down and 1-2KB/s up during peak hours and climbs slightly to 10-20KB/s down and 10-11KB/s up off peak. I've tried Bit Torrent only recently and get 20KB/s up/down during peak and off peak hours. I'm on the 2mb package and most speed tests I've done average 235KB/s. The biggest problem for me is my overall usage is now going to be far greater as more is being uploaded during the extra time it's taking to download.
N/A

Hi benjones74

Everbody seems to go on about slow p2p speeds, but I am constantly getting 150-200kbps. Of course I do not use it between 4pm-12pm, which is peak as this is unfare on other users. The only reason I can think of is that i have forwarded the ports on my router, to use ports that maybe are not throttled...

Maybe you can let the users know which ports you use then, also i see you must have started d/l at peak times as well now... :roll:

thxs
N/A

Also want 2 know...

Have tried 6662 and 5662... same awfull result....

What magic ports are you usingHuh
N/A

All "was" fine!!

All the ports are forwarded properly for my router and as ive said its been fine up till now. Indeed, ive been getting exelent speeds for a while with plusnet and used to sneer at people who said it was slow. now i know how frustrated most people must feel. It seems that at some point all plusnet users get some sort of speed problem, if the forums are anything to go by. I would leave but i'm commited to a years contract. Oh well Smiley

Aileen
N/A

It makes no difference which ports you use. The throttling is done by packet inspection which decides what type of packet it is. The policy for that type of packet is then applied, so it is not dependant on port number. Port forwarding of your router does have a big effect. I use ports in the 60,000 range, as a lot of p2p sites now block the standard ports.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

I only download at peak times if I leave something downloading at then go to work, as soon as I come home and it is peak time, I put it on hold. As regards the ports I am using, it does not make a difference with p2p, it is down to the of file as quoted by jjtaylor...
N/A

well im only getting 20-25kb/s max :roll: on 2meg prem, and i dont get the full speed, only 1.1gb. the whole resaon i swaped from bt to plusnet was the unlimited usage, and was cheaper. is it worth ringing customer servises and complaining about the throtling?

mike
N/A

Another Premier user with peak time problems. On Monday am was getting 1.5 Mbps at 7.30am, but after 9am it was soooo slow - less than < 5k!! Both email and internet timed out trying to access Plusnet - so it wasn't even as if it had to go out onto the internet!!

It's been bad since Wednesday last week

Bill
N/A

After reading some topics in the forum regarding this the reasons for intoducing caps this is a joke:

For example:

In Germany you get a 2 (or 6) MBit Broadband account for 13.33 (16.66) Pounds a month (means only the account!) and an unlimited access for that accounts for 6.66 Pounds (equal if 2 or 6 MBit)- so overall I would pay for Plusnet Premier in Germany 20.00 Pounds... (Prices: T-Online - like BT in UK)

So after doing this calculations and taking PlusNets arguments on board I asume T-Online and all other internet provider in Germany must go into liquidation in the next month Shockedops:
LiamM
Grafter

For those of you that haven't already. The following is a valuable insight.

Plusnet's Vision for 2006