cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow going when requesting refund for faulty goods

GordonT

Sad
I purchased a Netgear "Next" Router with Free Wireless card earlier this week. I was pleased with the reasonably quick delivery, however, the performance of the equipment was terrible :shock:

I was getting download speeds of 17kbps!! I contacted Netgear support and tried all their advice but no improvement was forthcoming. I reconnected my old Netgear stuff and all was well again...download speeds of over 300kbps.....so much for improvements!!

I decided to use my right to a refund under the distance selling act and logged a "question" yesterday.

Today i got a reply that says next action is on Friday 18th August...a whole week.....they say they need to contact the supplier. What forHuh Surely in my case they are the supplier of the goods and should organise a collection and refund ASAP??

Am I being unreasonable expecting quicker action :?:
Gordon
7 REPLIES
ceridwen
Grafter

If you are within 7 days of receipt, then you should be entitled to a refund although you may have to cover the cost of return.

It may be worth adding a note to the ticket re-affirming that you wish to return the item under the distance selling regulations as CS is not particularly good at reading the ticket and may have assumed you wanted technical support rather than return the item!

Legally PN have 30 days to enact the refund.

Matthew
N/A

I thought the terms where different if you had opened and used the items (as has clearly happened here) rather than returning an unopened/unused product?
ceridwen
Grafter

I believe the normal rule is that the items must be returned in a resellable condition.

If on the other hand, they are being returned as faulty or not fit for purpose, then its the sale of goods act which applies. Again this is between the purchaser and the supplier (not the manufacturer).

Matthew
N/A

The laws would The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 and/or The Sale and Supply of Goods and Services -and there are others to choose from.

It's taken Currys and most other retailers years and years of court cases to get their act together so I can't see Plusnet being too hot on trader's law. There's no shortage of information sources so there is no excuse.
GordonT

Plusnet have now told me that it is going to take until next Friday to get back to me as they have "issues" that they have to take up with their supplier.

I asked what these issues are and also said that I have an issue with them and if they don't get back to me quicker than next Friday I will contact Trading Standards or the Mail Order Protection Society (MOPS were excellent at resolving a problem I had with MESH computers).

So far I've heard nothing more from them :roll:
N/A

I think it's more of a case of how do specify when a product is faulty? It's not simply the fact that the router doesn't work - it does, just slowly. If it's configured correctly, then it could be a case of not being fit for the purpose it was sold, but no one will know if it's been configured correctly.

So the only thing you can do is contact the manufacturer and ask them if this problem has occured before, and what to do about it.
GordonT

That's all well and good but within 7 days it doesn't matter what is or isn't wrong with it. The fact of the matter is the product did not work for me, I gave it a go but, despite advice from Netgear, the product/s did not deliver the goods, so to speak.

I have lost faith in the product and, within the 7 day period, I am fully entitled to arrange for goods to be sent back and for me to get a full refund.

I work for Local Government and can send Plusnet copies of all the appropriate laws involved with Sale of Goods, Distance Selling etc if they need them.

Regards

Gordon