cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downloads on 2MB

N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

Hi all, ive noticed recently that my download speed seems to be capped to around 512k during random times throughout the day.

im doing a plusnet speed test now and im only gettin 500k download speed , and this is with nothing using the connections, during the day time i usually get 220kb/sec download speeds.

ive used 120gb of usage this month. could this be a reason why i am experiencing such slow speedsHuh WTFHuh only 30gb per weekHuh
15 REPLIES
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

there is still another week left of this month, that means your on to do 160Gb, It wouldn't surprise me if PN were starting to hold you back a bit..naughty boy :lol:
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

Plusnet, please dont hold me back, I want to download 250GB!!!! come on!!!!!! come on u Link:Censored !!!

Moderators not by John (johnessex) All capitals post reduced to lower case.
Attempt to by pass swear filter removed.
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

My favourite thing about Plusnet is that I ger 11KB.Sec Torrent downloads at 2:30AM.. Really maxing out my connection.. Only 7 minutes to go to get 1Meg !!! Wooh Shockedops:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All capitals post reduced to lower case.
N/A

slow downloads on 2Mb

Yeah, I've noticed a big s-l-o-w down recently. It's like going back to a dial-up connection. :x

It's more likely to be a contention issue. PlusNet recently regraded (or should that be downgraded) a lot of 2Mb (Broadband Plus or ex-Home Lite) accounts from a contention ratio of 20:1 to 50:1. That means you're sharing the bandwidth with 50 other users at the exchange. This will be more noticeable during peak times and isn't helped by bandwidth hogs downloading massive files or using P2P networks. Of course, I'm sure that PlusNet hope it will p*** us off enough to upgrade to a more expensive package. :roll:

Find out more about contention at http://www.plus.net/support/features/contention_guide.shtml
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

I've only been a member for a few days and transfered around 5gb...I don't think they've downgraded me? Evil
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

i guess ill just find another isp and pay a few extra quid for an actual 2mb which works all the time. even plusnets own speed test says im on a 500k connection at night. appauling
N/A

slow downloads on 2Mb

You'll probably find other ISPs are the same... or worse! This is happening as more people join the 'broadband revolution' and the phone co (ie BT) and ISPs have to squeeze more and more data through their networks and exchanges.

Again, this is a contention issue and no ISP mentions it in their ads - it's always in the smallprint. In theory, you get a 2Mbps connection but it'll be reduced, in accordance with the contention ratio, at peak times, when more people are downloading stuff.

The best bet is to get a (more expensive) business account, where contention is much less (10:1 or 20:1). Sad

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. There is no need to use all of the preceding post as a quote.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Slow downloads on 2MB

There have been a small amount of accounts which were originally on 20:1 BT contention instead of the 50:1 they should have been, as a 50:1 2MB product didn't exist at this time.

If you are one of those customers then you will know about this as we will have contacted you regarding this.

moda1 - have you tried any BT Speedtests - instructions here?
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

...Really maxing out my connection.. Only 7 minutes to go to get 1Meg !!! Wooh

Are you being sarcastic? You should get 1 meg in 1 min or less! :?

General note to other users:
2MB means 2 megabits per second (written Mbps) - NOT megabytes. It's a different thing when you're talking download speeds.
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

Yeah i was being sarcastic. Torrents were going slower than dialup last night..I was over the moon!

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed Please refrain from just hitting the quote button on your replies.
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

There have been a small amount of accounts which were originally on 20:1 BT contention instead of the 50:1 they should have been, as a 50:1 2MB product didn't exist at this time.

Yeah, don't I know it! :x

When you say "a small amount" I wonder how many exactly?! All the old '2MB Home Lite' users, I presume. How many thousands is that?!

BTW, I still believe PlusNet are one of the best ISPs (otherwise I wouldn't be here!). Pity the poor b****** on AOL, eh!!! Wink
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Slow downloads on 2MB

mamboboy - torrent speeds shouldn't be affected to that extent. I have passed your ticket to our network team to investigate further.
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

Excellent. I'm away for the next 5 days now so if they can get me any information then please email me it/reply to my ticket I sent yesterday!

The torrent problems are strange to say the least. I'm yet to achieve 2mbit speeds, except for the test torrent I've ran a few times. On my last ISP i would consistently get full speeds from about 1 minute after running a torrent (this is a private torrent site too), yet with Plus i'm yet to achieve over 70kbs. I can almost gaurantee it's no seeding issue either,because if I run 2 torrents the 70kps speed will get split between the two!
I tried limewire last night and got very nice speeds, seemingly every p2p runs nicely, except for the torrents! Sad

I can live with the 70-80kbs torrent speeds but it'd be nice if I could get better, and then i'd be a highly satisfied +net customer Wink
Thankyou

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed again see above note.
N/A

Slow downloads on 2MB

i did a bt speed test right now using the PN connection. im getting these results.... btw im on a 2MB connection (or thats what im paying for!)

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01162882456 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

842 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 84.92.119.XXX, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

i think even PN has to agree this is appauling!