cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds with easynews ?

N/A

Im a subscriber to EasyNews and Im on the PlusNet Premier Package conncted at 2mb.

Up until now Ive been very happy with the service and speeds PlusNet have provided me but recently Ive noticed anything I download via EasyNews appears to be capped. I used to be able to max my connection out so Id get between 220-230 Kps but now I only get 30Kps max. Ive tryed rerouting the traffic and this has been going on for a few weeks.

Can I ask why this appears to be throttled. I dont mind say being throttled 10 - 20 kps if it helps in manging the network but 30kps on a 2mbs line is a bit silly.

Anyone know whats going on here ?

Cheers.
14 REPLIES
N/A

read your email i.e. on plusnet website. i am going to ZEN
N/A

"Its not us guv, have you ran the speedchecker" there you go PN I just saved you some typing :roll:
N/A

Re: Slow download speeds with easynews ?

Im a subscriber to EasyNews and Im on the PlusNet Premier Package conncted at 2mb.

Up until now Ive been very happy with the service and speeds PlusNet have provided me but recently Ive noticed anything I download via EasyNews appears to be capped. I used to be able to max my connection out so Id get between 220-230 Kps but now I only get 30Kps max. Ive tryed rerouting the traffic and this has been going on for a few weeks.

Can I ask why this appears to be throttled. I dont mind say being throttled 10 - 20 kps if it helps in manging the network but 30kps on a 2mbs line is a bit silly.

Anyone know whats going on here ?

Cheers.

Exactly the same here;

http://www.hardwarekillers.com/~mike/connection.jpg - this evening

Customer service has dived in the last few weeks too.
gevenett
Grafter

I too have seen a massive speed decrease the last few weeks with Easynews and as the downloads are port 80 or 81 they should be classed as http downloads not p2p or usenet so it appears easynews has been targetted specifically. I must say though that I haven't noticed speeds below 60k but it fluctuates up and down at all times of the day and night between 60-130 so Its not as bad for me as it is for others. (Premier 2mb btw)
kitz
Rising Star

Using grabbit... can get on average 230 -245 kB/Sec using 8 threads

I must admit it can fluctuate, and its only offpeak times that I get a solid 245 kB.

However, I dont use the newsgroups too often, only when I particulary want something, but on the whole Ive found it acceptable and havent seen the very low speeds some pple are reporting :/
N/A

i have the same problem, not acceptable considering that i pay 44.99 per month for my line.

speed test works fine, but any rerouting of traffic from easynews via their tool gives me the same speed which leads me to believe its being throttled.
N/A

Should of said I use HTTP to download via easynews and not NNTP.
Ive tryed SSL and Port 80, 81 still the same. If I split the download into say 2 segments I used to pretty much max the connection but this has no effect.

PlusNet are you aware of any throttling/limit being applied to downloads from EasyNews ?

Thanks,

Gareth
N/A

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33146

I think it's the same for all usenet traffic - there is a known problem.
The latest from PN from my ticket is:

"We have raised an internal problem as we have had a few customers reporting slow speeds with NNTP so we are currently investigating the issue for you."
N/A

Hi

As from today I'm on F2S and found that at 20-00hrs I can now download from Newshosting at 233K , I haven't been able to do this at peak times for weeks!!

No apparent throttling unlike Plusnet

Cheers

Simon :lol:
N/A

Using grabbit... can get on average 230 -245 kB/Sec using 8 threads

I must admit it can fluctuate, and its only offpeak times that I get a solid 245 kB.

However, I dont use the newsgroups too often, only when I particulary want something, but on the whole Ive found it acceptable and havent seen the very low speeds some pple are reporting :/

There's a good reason for that, Kitz. I seem to recall you having a "Full line speed" shaping profile set on your account to prevent you complaining vocally as per when you had the BT speed fault. This means you, and the PN directors and other VIPs who also have this profile set, won't experience the same level of contention on the plusnet network as the rest of us mere mortals.
N/A

Sending traffic over HTTP ports does not make them instantly show as HTTP traffic, the packets themselves have identifying tags within the headers, this defines what type of traffic it is. For example I could run a webserver using port 45832 if I really wanted, but I would have to manually direct all clients to connect to that port, or set a link on the server to pass all data heading to 80 to port 45832.
This would again be done by identifying the packets, therefore using port 80 to perform NNTP actions will still show as NNTP packets, not HTTP purely on the port, you would have to alter the packet headers.
gevenett
Grafter

I can confirm that I did some easynews downloads on my 1mb plusnet business connection at work a few days ago and it downloaded at maximum speed at all times which fits in with PN's no restrictions on business accounts policy so its not an across the board problem between PN and Easynews.
N/A

Full line speed" shaping profile set on your account to prevent you complaining vocally as per when you had the BT speed fault.

Thats a fairly big allegation. If it where true, it didnt do kitz much good recently when she was rerased by BT.

From what I remember her recent problems where nothing to do with Plus Net, but down to BT so any allegded enhanced profile would be of absolutely no benefit.
N/A

May I state that the allegation is not correct or true I have personally checked this and the person who posted that is not affiliated with PlusNet in any way.

The issue was with a hot VP at the exchnage and that was upgraded by BT it was not an issue that we could resolve.