cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow dl speeds

N/A

Slow dl speeds

Hi,
I've got Plus Net premier account set up and I've been experiencing really slow download speeds together with high pings at certain times. This has been going on for the whole day and has not improved after the magic 12.

The speed results i get

BT Broadband Speed Test
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user x and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
Download 286 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is x.x.x.x, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

ADSL Guide Speed test
Downstream 301 Kbps (37.6 KB/sec) 325 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 250 Kbps (31.3 KB/sec) 270 Kbps (inc. overheads)

The speeds recorded are 10x slower than what I'm supposed to be getting. I would not bother reporting this, if this was the first time this had happened. But it seems to happen with certain regularity.

I almost forgot what it feels like to be on a proper 2MB line. You call this a 2MB ADSL ??

All the very best and I'm looking forward to your reponse

Mira
18 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Slow dl speeds

Hi

The BT test would appear to indicate that the problem lies somewhere between your computer and the BT equipment and isn't to do with PlusNet's part of the network
Have you raised a ticket with PN and followed their suggestions-- they can pursue your problem with BT if you carry out the necessary tests
By the way, you might want to edit out your phone number Wink
kitz
Rising Star

Slow dl speeds

Although Im no big fan of the exchange checkers**
what does it say about your exchange here:-

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

You may be lucky and BTw may have set a fix date.

** BT are often slow updating it and from personal experience an exchange only gets marked red when speeds fall below the 400 kbps mark.
N/A

Slow dl speeds

Mines been the same as yours since the begging of the month,i've never had any problems before, but my 2meg connection is giving me a speed of around 350Kbps, improves in the early hours of the morning but still is only around 1200Kbps, used to get constant speeds around the 1850Kbps mark.
Raised a ticket and was told these speeds were acceptable! I certainly don't think they are.

(My exchange is also showing as having no issues)

Darren
N/A

Totally agree

Hi there,
I'm glad that i'm not the only one that thinks that speeds around 15% percent of the advertised speeds are not acceptable.

My connection could max out 1850 kbit/s few months ago. However, recently I have been struggling to get speeds higher than 400 kbit/s, especially during the so called "peak period" between 4pm and 12. It improves slightly in the early mornings 1am - 4am up until 11am (1000 kbit/s) and then it goes down to the usual slow speeds.

The exchange is green.
N/A

Slow dl speeds

Here are my stats for the last 30 mins.

07-12-2005 19:52:48 741.3
07-12-2005 19:52:26 841.2
07-12-2005 19:51:43 781.3
07-12-2005 19:50:46 1135.6
07-12-2005 19:37:53 650.4
07-12-2005 19:19:11 384.7
07-12-2005 19:17:24 315.1

As you can see their all over the place (and this is a good night!)
N/A

Slow dl speeds

Yeah, i'm doing proper BT speed checks now. It's a bit of a pain tho, but hey.

The last result

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user x and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of 270 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Cry Have to do 3 in the course of 24hrs for plus.net support
Community Veteran

Slow dl speeds

The upside of that result (if nightly test are similar) is that PN will definately raise it to BT! Smiley Anything regularly below 400kbps is the threshold @ which BT consider it to be unacceptable operation, and will investigate it as a fault.
N/A

:|

Can you believe this Huh

Dear x,

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: 270

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support
Community Veteran

Slow dl speeds

Frankly, NO I can't! :? :? :|
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Slow dl speeds

What is the actual sync speed as BT decide what is acceptable based on that. Even though you are on up to 2MB line length could have reduced it. See this page from Kitz site which shows what BT think is acceptable http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm
Community Veteran

Slow dl speeds

I made an assumption......sorry if I missinformed!
N/A

to: holtlane

to: holtlane

Hey
I've done the necessary three BT synch speeds for plus net support. The 270 is result that gave me PlusNet after all the test and that was the reply I got. Since I consider this totally unacceptable, I pursue this issue further. I have not recieved a reply from PlusNet Support yet.

The speeds that I get from BT speed checker are varying around 270 - 400kbit/s during the peak times. However, I can max the connection to 1850kbit/s during the "off-peak" times around 1am - 4am. This means I am able to get speeds up to 2. It seems to me, that there is a problem with an exchange, even though the status is green.

And so, back to the super speed of 300kbit/s .......
shellsong
Grafter

Slow dl speeds

If the BT test shows the right sort of speed off-peak but sub 400kbs during peak I would have thought this indicates excessive contention on the BT part of your connection-- I'm not an expert so has anyone really knowledgable got a view on this?

Mind you BT work with a worst case contention figure of 50:1 which would translate to 40kbs :!: (but they reckon to do much better than this)

Your figures are equivalent to between 7.5:1 and 5:1 contention during peak
kitz
Rising Star

Slow dl speeds

Regulary getting under 400 kbps is enough to raise a fault to BT as a congestion issue... if at other times you can get full whack.

Getting BT to believe that there is a fault at the exchange is another matter :/

They will try blame anything other than the facts that you present to them..
Some of the things that Ive had thrown at me

My network is virus ridden..
My network is too secure.
Its congestion on Plusnets pipes (yep thats a good one when you are getting less than 300 kbps on the BTw speed tester).

Anyhow raise another ticket.. and good luck.