cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection to private NNTP newsgroups

N/A

I've tried to search but haven't had much joy - not least because I'm not quite sure what to search on.

I subscribe to various public Microsoft NNTP newsgroups and all works well. I also have access to some private Microsoft newsgroups which, from a user perspective, work in the same way except that the server is different and requires authentication.

My connection to the private newsgroups works well from midnight or 1am till about 8am but is painfully slow for most of the day. Although frustrating I had assumed this was something at the server end and just never got round to following it up.

I have spent the past couple of weeks on my Dad's PC (who has AOL) and found that all works well all the time and deduce, therefore, that the bottleneck is PlusNet.

Does anybody know why, or how I can find out anything, or if there is anything I can do about it?

My subscription is "PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb (Annual Contract, Activation and Modem Offer)" and, if it matters, I am using Windows Mail on Vista but previously had the same issue with Outlook Express on XP.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Jollans
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Does this server contain any binary news groups? I'd assume not but best to check. Assuming not it might be that the server hasn't been prioritised as a text only news server, news.microsoft.net will be but we may not have this one as well. If you raise a ticket with the details on the newsserver (name and port number if it isn't standard) and we can check it out and add it to the list.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

It is text but there is one (and only one, AFAIK, to which I have access) newsgroup that does allow attachments (but then so do almost all newsgroups in theory I think).

Anyway I'll raise a ticket and if anything can be done that'd be brilliant. Thank you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Don't see why it can't be added, the network guys will take a look and see what they can do.
N/A

Thank you. It may be a couple of weeks before I know if it is better as I have to return to my Dad's tomorrow but will post back here when I return.
N/A

I have received a reply to my ticket saying that the news server in question cannot be moved from the bronze queue and will continue to get the lowest priority; they don't say why.

Naturally I am disappointed but, at least, I do now know the cause of my problem.