cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Teleworker account - great in the day - pants at night

N/A

I'm getting frustrated - very frustrated...

syning at 5200 - 5800 at all times, everything else looks good too:

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 5000 Kbps

(it was up as far as 5500 for a while - but dropped back to a very relyable 5000)...

The line has been very relyable once it settled after a few days - I did reboot the router a fair few times to get the line up to 5000 speed but once there I have pretty much left it alone.

During the day I can download at full speed (not that I download much) and get 512K/sec from mirrors I know to be well used (gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk) - however at night it all goes pete tong, I get about a 1 meg connection at best and thats not good enough - not for the money I pay for it!

Downloading from Microsoft's servers usually yields HUGE speeds - but not at night, speedtests (I tried a few and no none of them were PN's) and all of them gave me 1 - 1.25meg speeds. Is this a general thing with PN - speciffic to teleworker or os there somwhere else I should look, having read other comments here I get the feeling this could be a general thing, but I hope not.

Answers on a postcard please Wink
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you checked the status of your exchange? Congestion on the Plusnet network will slow things down in the evening, but I wouldn't have expected by that much.

Exchange checker
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

And can you run some speedtests at peak times? Including the BT Speedtester?

This might help you.

Does the slowdown occur across all protocols, or just certain applications?
N/A

Have you checked the status of your exchange? Congestion on the Plusnet network will slow things down in the evening, but I wouldn't have expected by that much.

Exchange checker

VP's have been red on my exchange forever - last ETA fix time was Dec 28th - been and gone without update - what a supprise.
N/A

And can you run some speedtests at peak times? Including the BT Speedtester?

This might help you.

Does the slowdown occur across all protocols, or just certain applications?

Well so far I have only tested HTTP traffic properly - I'll do some more in-depth testing later on (if I remember) and try and give you more idea when it slows up and on what services.

Given my thread from a few weeks back on VOIP it would suggest even titanium rated protocals suffer!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Try adding &etashow=yes&full=1 to the end of the URL in exchange checker when on the VP capacity details page.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Try adding &etashow=yes&full=1 to the end of the URL in exchange checker when on the VP capacity details page.

Fair enough its not quite forever - but its been long enough !

click here to see what I see...

off to do a speed test - not holding my breath tho!

Also incase its needed later:

Which gateway

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2.
N/A

OK here are some speed tests - I gave up on the BT one - its not letting me on - permenently busy Sad grrrrr

using http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

2630k/sec @ 21:35
1002k/sec @ 21:38
3579k/sec @ 21:45
1851k/sec @ 21:50
3784k/sec @ 22:12

HTTP downloads are bouncing wildly between 90k and 200k - not gaining the 450 or so that I get during the day.

i have had (during the day) 5000plus no probs...

Obviously while I am speedtesting thats the only activity on my line!
Mand
Grafter

Hi

I'd recommend retrying the BT speedtest just to confirm where the problem lies but if the issue is contention there's not a lot we can do unfortunately. BT won't accept a speed fault unless you're receiving less than 400k on a BT speedtest, which it doesn't look like you will.
N/A

It shouldnt be contention as the contention ratio for business accounts is rather better than that of residential accounts - thats kind of the point of a business account is it not!

I would love to do many and varied BT speed tests but its a little difficult if the flaming speed test wont let me.
James
Grafter

Powermad,

As discussed last night, feel free to harrass over the course of the morning.

I've got a meeting at 11am and 3pm, but otherwise I'm available.
N/A

the problem is - its just dandy during the day - I'll get some more testing done from early evening tonight and with luck we should see the degradation.
James
Grafter

I'll be around until 10/11pm as per.
N/A

well I think I have already had enough...

VOIP is now so bad I cant really use it...
Line profile has dropped back to 4500k, download is OK right now but I am sure later on it will fall apart as usual. Upload has now dropped back to 200k/sec.

I cant be doing with a service that does not work nor an ISP who demand a BT speed test (that I never get to work) before they will do anything.

I'd like my mac please since you have not managed to provide a working service as yet.

Also if anyone has any idea who does provide a service that works I'm all ears - I used to hold PN in very high reguard - but no longer. My father (who is not the complaining type) is also a PN customer suffering similar problems as myself, lucky for him he does not use VOIP and just puts up with the shoddy service provided - holestly I think I will be looking to move him too.
N/A

for what its worth I finally managed a BT test today - after just a week of trying Sad

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4992 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3420 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.