cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds

N/A

Slow Speeds

My speeds are awful today. Is anyone else experiencing this?
My web browsing is dismal and speeds are falling.
14 REPLIES
Teatime
Grafter

Slow Speeds

You are not alone; FTP download speed is atrocious for me.
N/A

Slow Speeds

try a different gateway
9/27/2006 2:42 PM GMT 129 kb/s 64 kb/s 118 ms
on ptn_ag 1

then on ptn_ag 2
9/27/2006 2:56 PM GMT 1889 kb/s 319 kb/s 66 ms Wink
Alecto
Grafter

Slow Speeds

No speed problem here either - ptn-ag2 just gave 4.6Mb in a speed test at 5pm. :lol:

Still getting websites unobtainable though. Cry
N/A

Slow Speeds

So what's the point of having a good speed if you can't get anywhere?
kiasu
Grafter

Slow Speeds

How do I change Gateways?
N/A

Slow Speeds

Restart your router/modem. Then check your gateway here:-

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

If you get the same gateway again you have to reboot again. Keep rebooting until you get the gateway you want.
N/A

Slow Speeds

Very slow for me also on "thn-ag1". Tried rebooting a few times but it didn't change. Getting about 400Kbps in the speedtest despite my line being synced/connected at 8Mbps.
N/A

Slow Speeds

brightnova

Have you checked your exchange status:-
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Or performed the BT Speed test to eliminate the PN network:-
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

try the new beta BT speed test as well, just to see:-
http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/
snapper_mart
Grafter

Slow Speeds

Dreadful speeds here again too...and things were going so well...had 3.5-4 mbps for a week...now down to 500kbps Sad

NOTE: Managed to get on the other gateway, speeds up to 2500kbps ...
N/A

Slow Speeds

Previous PN SpeedTest (tn-ag1) 400Kb

Recent BT SpeedTest 4449Kbps
Recent PN SpeedTest (pte-ag2) 2470Mbps

Okay so I seem to be back up to a more reasonable speed on pte-ag2. I'll have to remember this trick!
N/A

Slow Speeds

I spoke too soon. PN speed test is down to ~700kbps again ... I think its random.
Boundey
Grafter

Slow Speeds

You are not alone; FTP download speed is atrocious for me.

Im going to agree with you on that one. I cant get anything over 30KB/sec. Sad
lenseman
Grafter

Slow Speeds

I am so pleased that I have got my MAC earlier this week, My super up to 8meg ADSL max connection started out at almost 5meg in April and was rock steady for a couple of weeks. It then started to deteriorate and slowly dropped to around 2.5meg. I raised a ticket and on the 21/6/2006 got this reply

Test result summary: Fail

We have completed testing of your broadband service. The results indicate that the fault may be caused by a problem with our systems.

Fair enough, they have a problem but a couple of days later I received this.

Dear Mr Bowker,
Your line is currently syncing at approximately 5MB - however your line rate is set at a lower speed on the BT system. this will be because they have previously seen your line syncing at a lower sped and this has been set accordingly. Your SNR and attenuation has nothing to do with which gateway you are attached to since the physical part of your line ends at the DSLAM and beyond this it is all digital. Your SNR is currently 9dB and if this were to fluctuate then you may get lower sync rates - and it can fluctuate for many reasons - since your copper wire and its ability to support a signal can change with the weather (different temperate conditions change the conductivity of the wire) - or for other reasons - interference etc. So that we can try and force your line to adjust the margin to a higher value could you try restarting your modem/router repeatedly, allowing it to power up and sync with the line and connect, then power it down and repeat this.

If you could do this several times over the space of an hour and a half, this should then force the system to increase the margin.

If you could try this and advise us if this improves the situation, or if the problems continue.

Hope that helps

followed by this a couple of days later,

Test result summary: Fail

We have completed testing of your broadband service. The results indicate that the fault may be caused by a problem with our systems.

Hang on, haven't I heard that somewhere before?

So I go out and invest in a new faceplate another router and rather than risk outside interference I invest in new cable and hardwired my home network. The result is that despite getting a sync speed of 5600 plus I still get crap speeds. Today I have been on less than 1Meg, everybody down our road on broadband is on the same exchange (all six of us), some are on ADSL max some on a basic 1 or 2meg connection. All are getting good speeds apart from me, although I am getting a slightly faster sync speed than them by a very small margin.

The only difference is that I am with Plusnet.

Hopefully I will be completing my migration in a couple of days.
N/A

Slow Speeds

i have been having the same prob payin 30 quid for up to 8 meg for past 7 months been fine with an average of 4.5 meg which i dont mind but past couple of days my spped is 2.5 meg to lose 2 meg is not good been told that my line has been slowed down because it cant cope but been coping for past 7 mths no prob really annoyed payin for this could get 2 meg off tiscalli for half the price if i wanted that
speed come plus get your finger out ur bum an get it sorted :x