cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds/Revert to 2MB

N/A

Hi

I've got a ticket raised on this but, after lurking and reading through other thread, these forums so to be a much quicker and helpful alternative so I thought I would ask here as well.

Basically, to cut a long story short I received the email teling me about my speed 'upgrade' just under 1 month ago and ever since my perfectly stable and reliable 2Mb connects at 1MB at most, usually less (although my upload speeds seem to have increase marginally).

I've noticed other threads on here asing to revert back to their old 2MB product - would that be the best option for me as I was more than happy with that but decided to take the upgrade anyway (a pretty stupid decision in hindsight).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers folks. Cheesy
17 REPLIES
N/A

The 8MB upgrade worked wonders for me. I went from 900kbps to 3600kbps, although it took several days of regularly rebooting my modem to get to this stage.

The last week has been bad, with speed dropping back down to 166kbps on one occasion, but I believe many people have been experiencing problems of the last week, so it is almost certainly nothing to do with my line or the speed upgrade, but much more likely a problem on PlusNet's infrastructure. The BT speed tester (when I can get it to work) always gives me a speed close to 4000kbps, which is the most I could expect from my line.
N/A

I've tried regularly rebooting my modem for nearly 2 weeks with no joy and any speed test I run (here/adslguide/BT) all come back around 1MB even though, as I said, I was getting constant 2MB download speed for about 9 months previously.

The responses I've had so far suggest my line is only capable of 1MB but I don't really understand how this can now be going off previous experience...
N/A

It sounds like your best bet is to pester PlusNet. Would reverting back to your old service necessarily give you back 2000kbps speeds? I wouldn't like to say.
Pathfinder
Grafter

I would also like to know can I revert back to a 2mb line?

My SNR is rubbish, between 1 - 4! Having maxdsl is useless.
N/A

I live in hope I would get my 2Mb back - I had gotten quite used to it over the proceeding months and really notice things taking twice as long now recently. Cry
Pathfinder
Grafter

Has anyone got any info on this? Can we be swicthed back to a 2mb non-maxdsl line?

With a SNR of between 1-4 it is not worth the hassle of frequent disconnections and drop-outs.

My 2mb line was, to quote Ashford and Simpson, Solid As A Rock.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Is reverting back to a non-maxdsl line possible?
N/A

Yes this is possible.

I'm quite far from the exchange and I used to get around 1mb whihc I accepted due to DSL limitation.

Plus.net decided to migrate me to maxdsl, after that my conneciton was around 300 - 450k, they said that was it tough luck effectively.

I then threatened toleave and lo and behold they regraded me back to my previous 1mb line.

However since then my connection dies every night from 6pm without faill to around 10pm.

Yet to recieve a decent reposne from plus.net
csogilvie
Grafter

In what way does your connection die? Do you lose Sync with the exchange, or just the ability to authenticate with PlusNet?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is reverting back to a non-maxdsl line possible?

I've seen the Comms team do it on here before - so yes.

Suggest raising a ticket or perhaps PM'ing someone from Comms.
N/A

Strangely enough after 4pm

The synch on my connection first of all drops to nothing then the noise level goes up to 2147483641 db.

It then either authnticates and immediately drops the conenction due to either loss of sycnh or fails the authentication(which is obviously the result of a connection drop during auth.

I can watch my line going up and down like a yoyo, it's completly unusable. Then around 10 - 12pm all comes back to life, it also works throughoutt he day without any issue.

I'm using a netgear so my logging is very limited. Here are some sample logs I sent to Plusnet

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
Line Attenuation 59 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483641 db 24 db

Sun, 2006-11-12 19:43:07 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:43:07 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:43:10 - Loss of synchronization :141
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:43:40 - Loss of synchronization :143
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:44:08 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:44:08 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:44:10 - Loss of synchronization :144
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:44:40 - Loss of synchronization :145
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:45:08 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:45:08 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:45:10 - Loss of synchronization :146
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:45:40 - Loss of synchronization :147
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:45:41 - LCP down.
Sun, 2006-11-12 19:46:09 - Initialize LCP.
Pathfinder
Grafter

OK maybe I will raise a ticket. From looking at posts here it seems a low SNR will cause problems. Mine is never higher than 4 and usually around 1 !

Before reverting to 2mb is it any use getting BT to renew phone connections inside the house with all new stuff as mine are pretty old?
N/A

Renewing the phone connections may help with 1 or 2 in your SNR. The majority of the cause is in the cabling outside and underground.

I normally have a low SNR ( or did till a couple of months ago ) and changing the master socket etc did squat for me. I noticed though it got worse after BT used an ALU joint ont he bust cable outside.
James
Grafter

Re: Slow Speeds/Revert to 2MB

Hi

I've got a ticket raised on this but, after lurking and reading through other thread, these forums so to be a much quicker and helpful alternative so I thought I would ask here as well.

Basically, to cut a long story short I received the email teling me about my speed 'upgrade' just under 1 month ago and ever since my perfectly stable and reliable 2Mb connects at 1MB at most, usually less (although my upload speeds seem to have increase marginally).

I've noticed other threads on here asing to revert back to their old 2MB product - would that be the best option for me as I was more than happy with that but decided to take the upgrade anyway (a pretty stupid decision in hindsight).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers folks. Cheesy

Hi there,

Looking at your line stats, it's showing a couple of fairly clear things.

Firstly, your bRAS is set to 1152kbps, with a sync rate of 1344kbps, hence the slow speeds that you have experiencing.

Secondly, you have a downstream line attenuation of 50dB, which means that BT will only accept a fixed rate order of 1mbps or lower, so essentially, moving you back to a fixed rate product probably won't make any difference to you.