cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

N/A

Slow Speed

ADSL Guide result:
Downstream 299 Kbps (37.4 KB/sec) 322 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 246 Kbps (30.8 KB/sec) 265 Kbps (inc. overheads)

This is supposed to be a 2Mb link and I'm getting less than 512K.

There is nothing else using my link at the same time, and it isn't just ADSL-Guide being slow at there end as other sites are affected.

It isn't BT. I have access to another connection (only 512/256, not 2048/256 like my account) on the same exchange, and a resource (simple http request for a large file) which I can only access at ~25Kb/s the other link maxes out with at it's limit of ~58Kb/s.

I don't think I've over the 30Gb peak-time limit that I wasn't told about except on this forum (thanks for that...), though I can't tell as the "view your bandwidth" doesn't differentiate between off-peak and on-peak (<sarcasm>that's clever</sarcasm>).
4 REPLIES
N/A

Slow Speed

Hi,

A BT Speedtest will quickly identify where the problem lies.

Post the results of that back here.

If the BT test shows slow speeds then the problem is within BT's realm. If not, then Plus Net will have to look at this more closely.
N/A

Re: Slow Speed

ADSL Guide result:
Downstream 299 Kbps (37.4 KB/sec) 322 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 246 Kbps (30.8 KB/sec) 265 Kbps (inc. overheads)

This is supposed to be a 2Mb link and I'm getting less than 512K.

There is nothing else using my link at the same time, and it isn't just ADSL-Guide being slow at there end as other sites are affected.

It isn't BT. I have access to another connection (only 512/256, not 2048/256 like my account) on the same exchange, and a resource (simple http request for a large file) which I can only access at ~25Kb/s the other link maxes out with at it's limit of ~58Kb/s.

I don't think I've over the 30Gb peak-time limit that I wasn't told about except on this forum (thanks for that...), though I can't tell as the "view your bandwidth" doesn't differentiate between off-peak and on-peak (<sarcasm>that's clever</sarcasm>).

same problem here, except im not getting 25kb/s, more like 5 at the most. definitely not over the limit as the new monthly has only just started. it was even worse last night (more like 1 or 2). i'll give that BT thing a whirl when i've worked out how to use it.
N/A

Slow Speed

OK, so maybe it is BT... The speed from their test showed 159Kbps.

ADSL-guide now showing
Downstream 584 Kbps (73.0 KB/sec) 630 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 262 Kbps (inc. overheads)
which is better but still a long way off what it should be.

What is the best channel to raise this with PlusNet through?
N/A

Slow Speed

Pain in the neck as it is, you will probably need to run several BT speed tests including one between midnight and about 6 am.

Then raise a ticket to PN for BT to fix.