cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow P2P speeds

N/A

Slow P2P speeds

I recently upgraded our connection from 2MB 50:1 to 2MB 30:1, since doing this however we have noticed our P2P speeds have dropped immensly (down from about 80Kb to about 15-20Kb) and the connection every 2 days or so needs restarting...

I'm on the premier product... anyone else have this problem?

I've tried re-installing my PC and all sorts....
5 REPLIES
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Sorry I mean 20:1 not 30:1 Shockedops:
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Anybody and everybody who uses P2P!

There are no end of posts in the forum of people complaining about the way Plusnet throttles P2P. Don't use it myself though.
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Anybody and everybody who uses P2P!

Why?
Why does it only affect P2P?
Community Veteran

Slow P2P speeds

vodkarev, you are not alone.

This is (we believe) down o the traffic shaping Plusnet now perform on their services. P2P traffic has grown enourmously around the globe, so much so that it is now starting to affect the availbale bandwidth of this ISP (and presumably others in time to come)

for this reason Plusnet group traffic into three areas, gold, silver and bronze. At busy times some bronze traffic is dropped in order that silver and gold can make it through at "full speed" without trouble. The busier it gets the more bronze is dropped, if the service gets crazy busy, then silver may start to be dropped.

stuff like VOIP and Http is in gold, and conversely P2P and Usenet are in bronze.

The more P2P grows, the more traffic in total, and the wider these "peak times" become.

The more revenue per customer an ISP generates, the more it can afford to spend on bandwidth to cope with demand.

I know its a long thread, but if you read this it should give you a good understanding of what is happening:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33146
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

This isn't what I signed up for all those years ago....

You get that many emails of plus.net telling you this and telling you that... so much so that after a while you don't know what you're getting...

I think it's time to start to look at moving... it's very sad... I've been with them ages so much so I thought this problem was at my end not theirs... hence the re-installing of my PC....