cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow P2P Peak hours

N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

As soon as the peak hours start p2p drops to 20kb max and then once the off hours start, it goes back to normal.

I am on broadband premier and would like to know why my i am having my connection throttled at peak times?
9 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

Slow P2P Peak hours

That could be overall bandwidth management, not individual account management. It should ease up as the peak period eases up.

Unless, of course, you have exceeded your peaktime limits (effectively 10gb) and are on level 1 management, and a flat rate throughout the peak period does rather point towards that.
Dizzley
Grafter

Slow P2P Peak hours

This is due to network management, or packet shaping. See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml?link=suptop5_bb3

P2P is all but stopped in peak times, no matter which package you are on. There's a variety of relevant links on that page. Note this is different to the Sustainable Usage Policy.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger, not staff.

Notwithstanding all that malarkey, we are all suffering conention even when surfing in peak periods too. That's why PN try to stamp on peak time P2P. We've had packet shaping in commercial networks for years.
N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

Ok guys thanks for the reply Sad

I am not going to even waste my time getting angry about this because you just have to accept this is what PlusNet are doing and if we are not happy we can just take our custom elsewhere :arrow:

Are there many ISP's which dont throttle P2P usage at peak times?
N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

P2P is all but stopped in peak times, no matter which package you are on.

My experience isn't as you say I very often get good speeds during peak times, admittedly not flat out but speeds I'm happy with and certainly not "all but stopped"

I never go over the 10GB peak time limit though..............
passer
Grafter

Slow P2P Peak hours

paultracey - I agree; I also often get very good speeds during peaktime, and also never exceed my limits. The OP's problem does sound like management.

westerlea - which gateway are you on?
aeroalfie
Grafter

Slow P2P Peak hours

disley wrote:

P2P is all but stopped in peak times, no matter which package you are on.

It's not on PAYG. - when i was on 2meg i could regualry max out my connection during the evening, dont know about with MaxDSL though as i havent tried yet.
N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

Saying p2p is all but stopped in peak time is simply not true.
I generally never download at peak times due to using the pc for other things, but last night wanted to see exactly how many people are around with a file i want and i was getting downloads at 180Kbps+.

I think a lot of people are simply thinking that "lots of people sharing = great speeds" where it doesnt mean that when half of them are not connectable, some others are already maxing their maximum upload speed with other people and so on. I've had days where ive plodded along at 5Kbps, added one more file which has shot through at 200+ and when it finished the rest just carry on as normal. It's not an isp speed issue, just how those people are sending.
N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

I have low LOW speeds on peek times also. It is now 16:22, and im trying to download a regular weekly Anime called Bleach.

Here is my speed ...

Overall Download Rate: 2 KB/s Connection Limits: 30 - 60 per task
Overall Upload Rate: 0 KB/s Upload slots: 3 - 5

I find it VERY unfair that we are getting speeds like this on peek hours. I HAVE NOT downloaded my limet. The only downloads I do, is this particular anime once a week. Its a 170mb file ...
You at PN should at least moniter how much people download, and assess if its ok for that person to have more speed then .... 1-2kb/s simply becasue its peektime.
I would be glad to have 40 kb/s ....
I asked my friend if the link was broken or something ... His only awnser was this:
>>>> ABC 3.1<<>> [::::::::::] [DB] BLEACH 80 [312caa3d].AVI ( 170.07mb) >><< 69% <<>> Down: 192.2 kb/s <<>> Up: 15.5 kb/s <<>> Peers/Seeds 24/68 <<>> 06m:19s <<<<

I almost cryed

Realy thinking about changeing ISP now....
N/A

Slow P2P Peak hours

Everythin slow for me during peak hours and not so good during peak..Think yourself lucky...