cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTP Sessions

flyer99
Grafter

Slow FTP Sessions

Is it just me or is anyone else feel that their FTP sessions are being throttled?
I look after a couple of web sites and now when either I use an FTP client or dreamweaver the response is very slow and can even drop the connection. I have tested from another network (work) and every thing is fine so the issue is with plusnet. Before any one asks I am on 2MB broadband premier and am now where near any limits. Current usage this month = 5GB. I am asking here before i raise a ticket...........

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Changed the title from all caps. Please do not create all caps titles as it is against the forum rules.]
7 REPLIES
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

Yes, my ftp was very slow today (Wed).
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

I was uploading some stuff to my webspace yesterday and it was also quite slow.
I just walked away and left it running in the end.

I'm on PAYG (10Gb)
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

Yeh UDP xfers are cack to.
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

ftp crawling here too
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

I also had the same issue with slow ftp speeds, raised a ticket and got this reply :-

My other query was regarding ftp. The speeds seem to be limited as opening other connections to the server doubles my speed for example :- 1 connection 20kb/s, 2 connections 40kb/s etc. As far as i'm aware i've broken no useage limits, and using my other internet connection it downloads at the full speed of the server?

Regarding ftp: As far as I am aware there is no issue here. This is a feature of the service, not a bug.

So it looks like ftp is going to be throttled all the time as the reply I got saying its slow by feature(design?) and not a bug? My useage this month so far is 558mb.. using a premier account. mac code now requested.
JonathanW
Grafter

Slow FTP Sessions

There is overal management in place on the network that could have an impact on speeds to external servers during busy times on the network. Its also possible that the server in question has a per connection speed limit in place, which is why you see a doubling in speed when you open up the second connection, this is something you would be advised to contact the server administrator about.
N/A

Slow FTP Sessions

Ian Wild's interesting pictures give the impression that nearly everything takes a back seat to HTTP at peak times - this is borne out by the browsing experience which is noticably slower than 6 or 12 months ago. There is already too much shaping - more needs to be done with capping to ease the level of shaping interaction at peak times.