cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow DSL - ICQ broken, 400 pings in Half-Life

N/A

Slow DSL - ICQ broken, 400 pings in Half-Life

Hi,

My DSL seems to have developed a problem today. Websites are fine, but I cannot log onto ICQ for more than a few minutes at a time without being disconnected and my pings are awful.

I have tried different ICQ clients, and my friends on other ISP's are logged on so the problem is not their end.

I've been playing Half-Life just now, and was getting 400 pings (on the Jolt server, which usually pings at 50-70). I quit and made sure I had turned off all downloads and things and went back in, the ping was at about 60-90 but then after a minute it shot back up to 400-500.

I see there is nothing on the Service Status about this, so do you have any idea where the problem might be? I haven't messed around with my computer in any way since last week so I can't imagine it is a software fault my end.

Thanks,
James Barwell.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Slow DSL - ICQ broken, 400 pings in Half-Life

> Hi,
>
> My DSL seems to have developed a problem today. Websites are fine, but I cannot log onto ICQ for more than a few minutes at a time without being disconnected and my pings are awful.
>
> I have tried different ICQ clients, and my friends on other ISP's are logged on so the problem is not their end.
>
> I've been playing Half-Life just now, and was getting 400 pings (on the Jolt server, which usually pings at 50-70). I quit and made sure I had turned off all downloads and things and went back in, the ping was at about 60-90 but then after a minute it shot back up to 400-500.
>
> I see there is nothing on the Service Status about this, so do you have any idea where the problem might be? I haven't messed around with my computer in any way since last week so I can't imagine it is a software fault my end.
>

Hi James,

I will investigate this for you now. Please can you let me know the IP address you are using to connect to the Half-Life server.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant...........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

195.149.21.104:27045

That's the IP. It is a Front Line Force server (a Half-Life mod) not that it should make any difference.

ICQ has decided to work as well now, and I've had a game on that server with pings from 70-200. Still not as good as is usual but much better than earlier.
N/A

> 195.149.21.104:27045
>
> That's the IP. It is a Front Line Force server (a Half-Life mod) not that it should make any difference.
>
> ICQ has decided to work as well now, and I've had a game on that server with pings from 70-200. Still not as good as is usual but much better than earlier.

Hello again James,

If you have this problem again, please raise it straight away via the Contact Us system on our portal. We can then try to replicate your problem and resolve it if we can.

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant...........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

Ok will do, it seems to be ok for the moment at least so I'll see how it goes. Thanks.
N/A

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't notice any particular slow down last night with my ADSL, but I was just browsing.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------