cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow DNS servers

N/A

Slow DNS servers

Is anything being done about this? It seems that some sites actually time out as they can't be resolved in a reasonable time, but sometimes a retry causes them to appear. I'm using the DNS servers provided by DHCP.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Slow DNS servers

What servers does it say you're using when you do Start - Run - Type "cmd" - In the new window type "ipconfig /all" ?

Sometimes the router proxies DNS queries through a local server, badly. The solution would be to set the DNS servers manually (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10).
N/A

Slow DNS servers

The servers in use are:

213.187.60.1 & 213.187.60.2
(ns1.progressive-networks.net & ns2.progressive-networks.net)

Hmm, that doesn't look like PlusNet...

Ah, it seems that my main WindowsXP box is getting the DNS DHCP addresses from my router, and the router still has my previous ISPs name server addresses Shockedops:

I'll change them now.. thanks for the addreses Smiley
mr_chris
Grafter

Slow DNS servers

You can always let your router pick up DNS addresses automatically. What's then supposed to happen is that if you get connected to a gateway in Telehouse North, it will use the DNS servers physically located in Telehouse North. Similar for Telehouse East.

That said, I don't do this myself so can't tell you if it works or not Cheesy The other two (and the one I use) I use 212.159.13.49 and 50 (telehouse north ones). Don't ask me why though, just the ones I remember when I'm setting up the connection I think Wink
N/A

Slow DNS servers

I put them in there originally because my previous ISP either gave IP addresses that were clearly bogus (0.0.0.0 anyone?) or ones that kept falling over and so refused requests. The ones I wrote above worked most of the time (but certainly not all).