cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection

N/A

Slow Connection

Hi,
I've noticed today after some 250+ pings in-game that my connection is a bit rough.
I have 2meg Premier.

Did a BT speed test and got the following results:

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

808 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 217.47.112.125, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

Then did the adslguide speedtest and got the following

Downstream 928 Kbps (116.0 KB/sec) 1002 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 247 Kbps (30.9 KB/sec) 266 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I've not changed anything and all was fine yesterday.
I've also checked my exchange on the usertools page and everything looks fine there too.

Any suggestions guys?

Regards
Steve
8 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Slow Connection

Hi,

It could still be your exchange that's at fault, as the information on the Usertools site isn't update in realtime, so there could be a little delay in there being an Issue and it being noticed by BT.

As such, I'd suggest running a speedtest during the early hours of the morning, before seven, as the network is generally quieter and you'll get a better indication as to whether this is a contention issue or not.
Community Veteran

Slow Connection

Even better would be to run the BT speed checker which removes Pusnet from the equation.

Access your ADSL modem/routers set-up or configuration page containing the ISP login details and replace your current login with speedtest@speedtest_domain and leave the password field blank (BT require no password for the connection). Next restart or power cycle your router so it reconnects using the BT speedtest login. From this point on you will have no access to normal websites or email as the BT speedtest login can only be used to perform the speed test.

This will let you see if its just your exchange or the BT network
N/A

Slow Connection

Hi
@johnessex
It was the BT speed checker I used as detailed here:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Regards
Steve
kitz
Rising Star

Slow Connection

As Jon Whiting correctly says the exchange checker isnt always up to date and relies upon information being released by BT.

In my own personal experience my exchange didnt show as red until speeds got below the 400kbps mark on a 2Mb connection :/

[edited cause I put the wrong CS reps name in Shockedops: ]
Community Veteran

Slow Connection

Hi
@johnessex
It was the BT speed checker I used as detailed here:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Regards
Steve

Sorry. Missed that in your first post. Shockedops:
In that case what Jon has suggested is the next step
N/A

Slow Connection

You think thats rough in the past months i always got 200kb/sec + now i can barely get over 40kb/sec worse than even a 512k line. 2mb premier i cannot do anything on it barely surf its about 2 steps up from modem days. Hopefuly can be sorted but shall see

Disallusioned to say the least
N/A

Turtle Speed

Hi guys, my speed seems to have just dropped off the edge of the world i.e. it's no where to be found, and I've got a premier account. This is leaving me seriously reconsidering my options. I know it's not something new as I've been monitoring it over the past month. If anyone finds or knows anything relating to this matter, please post it. Thanks ppl.
kitz
Rising Star

Slow Connection

duelist

Have a read here to see if anything helps identify the source.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/slowspeeds.htm