cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection

Highlighted
N/A

Slow Connection

Can anyone help me explain my slow ADSL connection? From home when I try using any Bandwidth Speed Tester (including the Plus.net & BT's own ones) I am never getting more than 1Mbps.

Just to test it I tried logging into my plus.net account from work and the speed tester hit 8Mbps!

I've tried everything from home, different filters on the socket, different routers and cards, wireless, wired and I even put in a new NTE5 bt master socket but nothing has affected the speed at all.

Do I have any grounds to complain if i'm paying for an up to 2Mbps service but am only getting 1Mbps? All the exchange checkers are saying that my local exchange is capable of 2Mbps but not for me it's not.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Slow Connection

What is your actual sync speed? Also afaik there arn't grounds for a compliant asthe service is up to 2mb
N/A

Slow Connection

The fastest I have achieved is 965.1kbps
N/A

Slow Connection

If you're connecting with a router, have a look at it's status page for the connection speed.

Depending on distance from the exchange, quality of your line, sacrifices to the gods etc, your line may not be capable of more than 1Mb.
N/A

Slow Connection

My downstream rate is 1152 Kbps. Not all that impressive but it looks like all i'm going to get. SUrely if it is because of the quality of line/distance from exchange that means unless BT upgrade the whole infrastructure i'm never going to get any greater speeds. Am i?