cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skybybroadband and SUP/FUP/whateverUP

N/A

OK, anyone care to answer how Skybybroadband fits into the FUP/SUP and download limits?

What protocol does it use to download, and how does this get affected by traffic management?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It uses P2P to download the movies so is covered by your 20GB peak time P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic management allowance before speeds are crippled.
N/A

Once SBB becomes more readily available, it'll be interesting to see if +net will up the limits...

My initial reaction to this is...................................................................................nope!

They'll just bang on about xDSL being a "non-guaranteed" service like they do with most other issues.

Incidentally, does anyone know when SBB is to be released to Joe Public?
avalon
Grafter

Once SBB becomes more readily available, it'll be interesting to see if +net will up the limits...

Perhaps Sky etc will buy space on Platinum to deliver their content and this will not count towards your limit as Sky are picking up the tab. They didn't introduce Platinum just to leave it sitting there unused did they? Wink
shellsong
Grafter

I suspect that Sky and the Beeb are using P2P based methods to reduce their bandwidth costs! Wink
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

I think the comms team have said several times here that as underlying wholesale costs reduce we will increase usage allowances - but we can't increase usage allowances just because there's a new application if costs haven't reduced.

We do expect to see more and more people using 'approved' P2P applications like BBC IMP and Skybybroadband. The challenges for ISPs will be if they just allow this traffic to grow hugely it will be very costly. If the downloads are 'time-shifted' to download overnight there's no problem. But with the current wholesale costs it's likely that for customers to download high bandwidth amounts at peak times on demand we'll need to introduce some sort of premium payment - i.e. if you want it now give us 50p, if you can wait a few hours you'll get it free but it'll download slower.

It'll be really interesting to see how different ISPs approach this as all ISPs large or small will face this challenge - and all ISPs have the same cost model (ignoring LLU for a second). Just putting in more and more pipes will inevitably lead to price increases unless BT reduces the wholesale costs as bandwidth usage increases.

What's really interesting about Kontiki is that once the first Skybybroadband user downloads a film, the second user gets it partly from Sky and partly from the first user. So ISPs (and customers) will start to see their upstream traffic increase dramatically as more and more users download. This will put the onus for bandwidth on ISPs rather than content providers. But if the content provider is making the money and the ISP is incurring the cost surely ISPs will expect some recompense from the content providers.

We've already built a 'platinum' queue into our management system in expectation of this development in the second half of 2006.
LiamM
Grafter

Incidentally, does anyone know when SBB is to be released to Joe Public?

It's available to Joe Public now... but only if you're a Sky subscriber who subscribes to movies and/or sports. Which I do - so I have it.

I actually think it's really good stuff. Downloaded a few movies. Quality isn't superb, but perfectly watchable. Only suspicious about the fact it uploads all the time it's running, and you cannot stop it within program - so I don't like them for implementing that...

But yeah, I think it's a step forward.
holdtight
Grafter

I dont use it but just out of interest what is it uploading all the time its running Liam ?Huh
Neil_A
Grafter

It's available to Joe Public now...

There's a story on The Register suggesting they've had more than 50,000 films downloaded already.

Also been a few concerns from customers that even when you shut the SBB application that Kontiki keeps running in the background so you're still uploading to other users even when you think you've closed the SBB app.

We tested it in the office and you get great quality movies - it's going to take off for sure.
LiamM
Grafter

I dont use it but just out of interest what is it uploading all the time its running Liam ?Huh

The films you've downloaded - to other people. A bit like bittorrent...
N/A

One more question, does it have a predefined upload ratio and cut off point or does it keep uploading as long as you have the file on your hard drive? Cheers.
LiamM
Grafter

Apparently it just keeps on going. I must admit my usage increased dramatically on the days I used SBB a couple of times.

As Neil said, apparently the engine does still run quietly in the background even after you close SBB.
N/A

It worries me to the extent that it could screw up other clients which upload or download. I limit my upload on Bit Comet so the request packets for the downloads don't get blocked up. Sky over broadband will screw this up. I doubt online gamers are going to be too happy with this either. Theres going to have to be some user control in the future, with perhaps an upload requirement similar to how private trackers operate. I don't want to touch it how it is - which is a shame as its a service I would definately use.
N/A

It's available to Joe Public now...

We tested it in the office and you get great quality movies - it's going to take off for sure.

Lol what limit do you guys have Huh? LOL
N/A

As Neil said, apparently the engine does still run quietly in the background even after you close SBB.

Do you happen to know what the application hook is called?

Perhaps it may be possible to schedule it to terminate following a period of idling.

I'm just downloading the application now (another 50Mb of my allowance gone!! :eek: ) and I'll see if I can develop some way of termination to get rid of the app run state.

I'll keep you posted here.