cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky VOD is now live....

David_W
Rising Star

Sky VOD is now live....

Which of course means a lot of movie downloads (legal naturally) by your's truly! a 120 minute film, apparently, on a 1MB line will take 120 minutes to download, so we can estimate each film to be:

125kps * 60 seconds * 120 minutes = 900mb per film.

So now for the questions time, naturally >.<

Say I want to watch a movie a day, and each movie is 1GB in size, we can estimate total monthly usage to be 30GB. I'm on upto 2MB.

Now, if Sky uses either P2P or FTP for their download service, its going to hit my limit, in 3 weeks I'll be at my "gold on peak downloads". Unless of course I choose to download the movies whilst I'm asleep, not really an option, my PC is a noisy beast with more fans than Madonna.

Now, everyone with Sky can access the service to download (depending on their subscription with Sky) Movies and/or Sports.

Short term network changes. People that are using P2P to download movies that they didnt record, and who have Sky, will start using Sky (no 2.4kps downloads Wink).

Long term network changes. As more movies are introduced, more people will want to use the service.

Now, due to the fact the "vision for 2006" is well, now out of date with the first real VOD service in the UK, how are F9 prepared for this new service? Which level of service will F9 give to the Sky application?

Gold? No, its not surfinf, nor email, and its a download not a stream.
Silver? FTP? Possibly, so only average performance?
Bronze? Only if you want to take full advantage of this service from Sky.

Ok, so Sky has 8million customers, and F9 has lots of customers, lets say 50% have Sky, and 25% want to download Sky movies to watch in their own time, how is the network going to be able to cope with such a huge spike in traffic when Sky actually starts to advertise? I only found out about it from the register, when Sky starts advertising it on Sky, sheesh, tons more people will.
2 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Sky VOD is now live....

It does really depend on the technology being used to deliver the content. I think that its p2p based, but without actually reading through all of the material available I couldn't say for sure.

Though at the moment this will fall into the Clean To traffic on Premier, but as we're planning on reducing the times that this covers down to 4pm - Midnight, it means that moving forwards people will be able to leave it running during the day, that is of course assuming they don't want to leave it running over night, for whatever reason.

The thing to keep in mind here is that its a new service, so there's no guarantee that everyone will jump on it straight away, no matter how much advertising they give for it. Most people have a tendancy to wait for this kind of thing to mature a little before they start to use it themselves. Yes, there will probably be a bit of an upsurge, but not so big as to cause serious issues.

This is, of course, all speculation at the moment, as the only way to be sure is to see what actually happens as we move forwards. But things like this are the new technologies that we're wanting to embrace and work with, and is part of why we're beuilding the managed broadband platform.
David_W
Rising Star

Sky VOD is now live....

I'm currently downloading the client as we speak, then I'm going to find a film to download, hopefully it will be a good one (then I'm going to go shopping whilst it downloads Wink).

Anyhow, if its possible for F9 to do this, I give my permission for F9 to activly monitor my connection, so they can deduce which area of the service Sky Broadband will use (i.e. P2P/FTP/HTTP).

If its not possible, meh :p

/edit - in case you cant, its connecting via kservice.exe, on port 8080 (https?), to a fair few different IP's (load balancing?)