cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site not found errors for some url domains

N/A

I have had problems with a couple of web sites that after using for a while get a "Can't find server" error in IE. The web sites are still available as if I use a different ISP then I get through straight away. Previously I have had problems with http://www.thyr.net and tonight http://www.yorkshirebuildingsociety.co.uk (or www.ybs.co.uk) is not working. I have assumed that it must be a routing problem at force9/plusnet.

After a period varying from a number of hours through to a couple of days access to the domain gets reset and I can access it again.

Is this my problem or force9's? Can other users access www.ybs.co.uk tonight for example?
11 REPLIES
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

No problem for me at 20:55. Have you tried clearing your cache? Are you behind a caching proxy?
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

Clearing cache had no positive effect.

I use an ADSL router and (dangerously perhaps) went into the configuration and found a "proxy DNS" entry enabled to address 212.159.6.10. I don't know where this address came from, but I assume that I must have put it there in the mists of time. I diabled the Proxy DNS and I could then get to the web site. Do I need a Proxy DNS?

Thanks
Mark
N/A

Hi Mark,

No! I doubte you need a proxy DNS, but what your router does require is the correct DNS IP address settings for force9's Primary & Secondary DNS servers as these provide your router & your computer/s will name resolution services which translate domain names into IP (internet protocol) address's, which in turn are used by your web browser such as IE6 to reach the sites desired and then display them.

The primary & secondary IP address info can be found on the portal if you look around for it.

Ivan Cool
N/A

I've had one specific site that just starts giving "Page not found" errors randomly - for anyhing from an hour to several hours. I checked my DNS addresses as stated at: http://portal.f9.net.uk/support/features/at_a_glance.shtml ... and all is OK!

Flummoxed .. doubly so as the F9 FP platform seems to have died again!
N/A

DNS Probs

Hello again,

I stick to what I said previously if your getting a page not found error its almost certainly a DNS or name resolution related problem. Either your browser & machine or your router cannot resolve the websites URL (website name) to an IP address.

The name lookup (name resolution) process requires your computer or router to communicate with its nearest authorititive DNS server on the network and in your case (or our case) this will be the DNS servers at F9. The F9 DNS servers will find the IP address of the site your looking for based on the URL you type into the address field of your browser. (or the F9 DNS servers will go off and talk to other DNS servers if it doesnt hold the information for the site you require and then hopefully it will return the correct information). If the website is not resolved to an IP you would get a site not found or page not found error.

Ivan
N/A

I can't see the above applying if the site is already being sucessfully browsed and even a previously views page gives a "Page not found" error!
N/A

Hi,

DIdnt you say that you viewed these sites via another ISP? previously viewed pages might have been cached to your own machine and browser so are still available on your machine?

**All pages NOT found or site not found are definately like to be DNS Related problems as this is how the web works. It requires DNS servers and name resolution process's.

Ivan
N/A

"cubes" referred to having viewed pages thro another ISP, not me ...

One of the HTML pages of the framed site I was browsing automatically refreshes periodically... at some point this page gives the error, then all of the pages requests give the error. I thought it was the site, but I've checked with other users and they could access it at that time. In the past I have found that certain IP addresses can not access certain sites thro F9, they seem to have sorted that out. This error seems quite random.
N/A

Page problems

Hi miranda,

Sorry! about the confusion. OK from what your saying I would say this isnt a DNS or name lookup or name resolution problem,although often it can be or often is. This is a server based problem of how the HTML pages are served up by the site server (or hosting server) I think this problem is concerned with they way the pages are served.

OK if you going onto the site and the page is downloaded to your local machine (after the DNS process, the DNS process is only concerned with finding the site itself and taking you to the index.html page or whatever is the home page) if the page is then refreshed on the site perhaps the error is occuring because your browser hasnt updated with the refreshed page itself.

In other words its all very well the site page refreshing but your browser would then also have to update inorder to have the refreshed page too and this sounds to me where the problem lyes.

The copy of the page you have initially (once the site page refreshes) is then out of date and hence the errors. Have you tried going onto this site and when the page refreshed or the errors occur, you try hitting Ctrl & Refresh see if this resolves the errors and let me know if that works? This in theory should update your browsers cache with the new refreshed page content. I'm assuming you can get onto the site in question.

Ivan
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

The error message above is the result of one of the following:
1. DNS failure. You seem to have had some problems here but resolved now?
2. Site intermittently down. Doesn't seem likely in the way you describe.
3. Timeout. The symptom here would be an unexpectedly long time before getting the error either the first time or on a refresh. Could retrieve the error message from cache otherwise.

Since you say that using a different ISP you have no problem (ie it's only using the F9 connection) you might possibly still have a DNS problem so check your setup. Mine is 'using autodiscovered DNS server' which is the normal setup. Anything else is prone to error or going out of date. Erratic DNS resolution still seems the most likely possibility.

See if there's a difference between addressing the site via DNS (its name) and via its IP address. This is a definitive check for whether its a DNS problem or not. To find a site's IP address if you don't know it bring up a DOS box and type 'ping sitename'. If the ping is returned you will get a message including its IP address. Unfortunately this needs DNS resolution Wink

You might have unexpectedly long ping times. You could try pinging an F9 machine (eg one of the DNS servers) to check.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

DNS cache

Hello Again,

If the problem is DNS related & is on your own machine you could try clearing or cleaning your computers DNS cache and to do this you can do one of two things which are pretty straightforwards.

1) if you run your machine 24/7 like myself and you dont want to power cycle the machine you could run the following command from a DOS prompt. This flushes your machines DNS resolver cache.

IPCONFIG /flushdns

2) if your not bothered about keeping the machine running all the time you can just reboot your system and this will clear the DNS cache for you.

See if this helps the problem of accessing the site/s?

Ivan