cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Question to Voyager USB users

N/A

Hi. I live in sheffield & use plusnet through a modem/router. My dad lives in norfolk and connects using the Voyager USB Modem supplied my plusnet. He's been having problems connecting/loosing connections lately, and I've been helping him over the phone, but something is puzzling me, and my question is this:

When using a Voyager USB Modem, should the connection in "Network Connections" (Start, Connect To, Show all connections...) be listed as a "Dial up" connection?

I tried talking him through creating a new "Broadband" connection manually, but this tries to use a "WAN Miniport" to connect and is unable to get online.

If someone can confirm that the connection is listed as "dialup" for them and works fine, I'll leave it alone...
10 REPLIES
N/A

I use a Voyager USB as backup and, yes, it is listed as a dialup connection.
N/A

Re: Simple Question to Voyager USB users

When using a Voyager USB Modem, should the connection in "Network Connections" (Start, Connect To, Show all connections...) be listed as a "Dial up" connection?

Yeah, that's normal for USB modems and how the Voyager looks too.

Once he's entered his details go back to the connection and right click it and select Properties. Make sure the first item on the Options tab is ticked (Display Progress While Connecting) but untick the 3 below it. That way he'll never need to enter details again and more importantly he'll not lean on the keyboard and change something.
N/A

cheers.
N/A

I believe that USB modems often show up as Dial Up purely because they are utilising a PPP connection. You should be able to easily get confirmation of this by checking the manual for the modem which I believe is available online.
N/A

oh dear tell your dad to move to talk talk if he can the 105 adsl bt modem isnt the issue its plus net with there rubbish connection drop outs and yes it is classed as a dial up. and no it wont help changing the modem. your dads bt exchange rate will be the main issue so dont fall for the so called 8mb con its all down to bt not plus net
N/A

ally20vt - Of your last 7 posts, 5 of them mention talktalk - we get it.
Brickinit
Grafter

oh dear tell your dad to move to talk talk if he can the 105 adsl bt modem isnt the issue its plus net with there rubbish connection drop outs and yes it is classed as a dial up. and no it wont help changing the modem. your dads bt exchange rate will be the main issue so dont fall for the so called 8mb con its all down to bt not plus net

sounds like someone is starting to talktalk out of their arsearse :lol:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

sounds like someone is starting to talktalk out of their arsearse

LOL - Nice one!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

*big grin*
N/A

Its good to TALK