cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Service ?

N/A

Silver Service ?

I have noticed in the 'vision for 2006' statement the following

It’s essential that voice, gaming and broadcast are delivered to customers at high quality. We already ‘tag’ traffic into different types, gold, silver and bronze, that are prioritised, particularly at peak times, to make sure time-critical applications are not affected. Some examples of how we prioritise traffic on our network are shown below:

if this is the case then shouldn't gaming and other VoIP be set to 'Gold' status

Gold – Web browsing, email, PlusTalk

Silver - Gaming, VPN, network services, other VoIP services, external text Usenet servers, FTP, SSH, Instant Messaging, IRC, other TCP/UDP/other traffic, P2P/Usenet for PAYG/Lite accounts

If not can F9 advise if this is going to affect service to online gaming or not, the reason I ask is I participate in a lot of online gaming, I know some the overheads are quite low for certain games, while others aren't.

IE Guild Wars does a lot streaming, and downloads on a regular basis, and if in a team you don't want to be hanging around for someone to finish downloading the current area.

regards
mike
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Silver Service ?

Hi Mike,

For everyday operation there's no difference between the gold and silver queues. We allocate more bandwidth to these two queues than they actually use (the spare being passed on to the bronze queue). The reason for having the seperate is more to allow the business critical applications like email to be usable in the event of a massive service failure of several central pipes.
Community Veteran

Silver Service ?

Hi Mike,

As a certain Mr Tomlinson will no doubt chip in with (as he often does!) since the traffic shaping and prioritising has started, there has not been any traffic dropped from the silver queue. In other words, what is currently in silver, is getting the same speeds and priority as gold.

This may not always be the case, when high-bandwidth and high-demand services take customer focus (such as TVoIP and the like) but as I understand it, the priority levels are under near constant review.

Hope this clears things up.

Diloch,
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
N/A

Silver Service ?

thanks peeps

just hoping it never ends up in the bronze queue thats all

regards
mike