cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature size

N/A

Signature size

I believe my current Signature is not allowed. Althou i had one displaying IP and Browser for alot of months i was told to change that.

Now i not allow a hosted sig from my own site to appear in my post.(like below)

It does not upset the look of the forum, doesn't put it out of shape in anyway.

So why arent the signatures allow?

Shouldn't slow done the loading time of the forum as its hosted else were!!

I dunno whats the point in a Signature if you can't use it to display anything

:shock:
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Signature size

Well its more than 4 lines of text in size for one thing. We have limits for a reason. If we don't ask people to stick to a limit people will always take it one step further and find bigger images. The forums already run slow enough, filling it with unsightly banners and eye catching images only detracts from peoples posts and slows the forums down further, espcially if viewing via SSL or on a dialup connection.

The problem with those displaying IP addresses is that there are a lot of novice users who come here for help, if they see thier IP address displayed it can scare them off and stop them coming, this has happened before. Also everyone else who isn't a novice user will already know thier IP address and won't want to see it on a regular basis for no reason.

People can display an avatar and upto 4 lines of text, I think thats more than enough.

Chris
N/A

Signature size

My Sig is under 10Kb

Size - 2.90 KB (2,972 bytes)

Size on disk - 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes)

So i'm allow to have a smaller image @ 10kb

but not a big image at under half the size (doesnt of put the forum in anyway)

now i would understand if the size of the image was @ 600px width because that would just screw the look of every page i were to post on.

but at a size that doesnt really effect the look of the forum :-)

also about your 4 lines of text my image is

75px in height < that is allow right?
N/A

Signature size

I have broken the avatar rule once and the sig size once.

This was not done intentionally, I was just kindly notified of having done this. The other problem with displaying images is ( and something Chris did not mention ) is the fact that you will end up with a lot more gif and flash type advertisements for other sites, businesses and so forth.
Although there may not be a specific rule stopping someone allowing people to know about these sites, it will then upset a lot of people as they will see the forums as nothing more than a giant advertisement and marketing playground.

I personally feel that having 4 lines of text and a 80x80 avatar is enough.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Signature size

I agree; whith Chris and Tom. Whilst at times I would love an extra line in my sig; when I filled that up and needed more room I would want an extra line again. The sigs would just grow to rediculous sizes and make it hard to read.
N/A

Signature size

I agree; whith Chris and Tom. Whilst at times I would love an extra line in my sig; when I filled that up and needed more room I would want an extra line again. The sigs would just grow to rediculous sizes and make it hard to read.

i did not argue with the 4 lines. i just argued with the image size.

my image is personnal doesnt display ads. same display i have in many forums(with on some occassions more than 1 image)

i post the size of my image. my image is based on text mostly which is why its small. i'd fine it hard to make and image and flash type image to show an ad for a site under 10kb. note my image is under half the size of the 10kb limit.

so it shouldn't take any longer to load that image as it does to load an avatars

also

Advertising and Spamming
Forum users are not permitted to post advertisements or commercial solicitations on the forums. This includes offering goods or services for sale. However, there is no problem with users posting links to their web sites in signatures or posts, provided the posts are materially useful and are not simply seeking to promote their products (e.g. recommending themselves for every query).
The advertising or offering for sale of your own personal items is permitted in the for sale forum.

So ads are ruled out any.
Alecto
Grafter

Signature size

Personally, I find flashy stuff in the sig space quite distracting - and would prefer just the basic few lines as allowed. Can't see what good it would do anybody to inflict masses of stuff on me in a sig, and above a line or two you just don't read it anyway.

@Daniel, you can always make more space in your sig by clearing off the reference to your blog - it's not used any more is it? :lol:
Community Veteran

Signature size

Evil

k J
N/A

Signature size

so far any 1 who has posted here practically has there avatar size the same size as my Sig :-) (1 of which avatar is bigger)
Alecto
Grafter

Signature size

Perhaps, but your sig is in the line of the text and as such distracting from the flow of what people are trying to read.
Avatars are on a different vertical line and so are not distracting.

And anyway your sig is 400 x 75 pixels, so what you say isn't true.
N/A

Signature size

also
Quote:

Advertising and Spamming
Forum users are not permitted to post advertisements or commercial solicitations on the forums. This includes offering goods or services for sale. However, there is no problem with users posting links to their web sites in signatures or posts, provided the posts are materially useful and are not simply seeking to promote their products (e.g. recommending themselves for every query).
The advertising or offering for sale of your own personal items is permitted in the for sale forum.

So ads are ruled out any.

Not entirely so, although advertising and spamming are ruled out, notice the reference of being allowed to display links for your own sites providing etc etc etc.

I have flash banners, and believe me they are below 10KB in size. Infact for a banner 468 X 60 5 different text lines, and an image it all totals 9KB. Well within the limits.

I stand by my original post. Sorry.

regards,
N/A

Signature size

Stupid so your not allow a custom sig. people get distracted from what there reading.

Yea happens to alot i go to forum and start reading something then notice and image an go woah nice image forget about the post :?

aw well. size rule then another rule. makes little sense. if you can have an avatar bigger.

I fine it breaks up the posts with and image in place saves it from being all text after text after text makes the place look boring.

but thats just me :-) Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Signature size

Personally I think less is more, I would vote for text only signatures.

I have seen on another forum, how graphic signatures can take over; most of the posts are shorter than the signatures.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Signature size

So have I.

I would also vote for text only signatures. Maybe we should have an updated poll?
N/A

Signature size

Agreed. Text based sigs to me are fine. Graphic sigs can be distracting.