cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick to Death of Synch Blips

N/A

For Months now - I have had intermittent blips in the synch speed. Seem to happen weekly, monthly.

Speed has now reached an ALL TIME low of 239

A reset of the routher returns me to the normal 2900 - 3600 resynch range.

Is this a BT problem ---- Im fed up.... accepted dropping to 1500 profile and occaisionally 1000 but 2-300 is not acceptable.....

Current Stats (after reboot of router)

DSL Connection Details

DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)

Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 2912 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 6.0 dB (Downstream), 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 57.6 dB (Downstream), 30.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 17.6 dB (Downstream), 12.1 dB (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {B5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0}
PVC Info: 0/38

Current PN download speed - 239kb

BT rest results

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2912 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 209 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

My speed once reached 3000 and has averaged 2-2500 recently....

Any thoughts!

No doubt I'll now have the three days of retraining - which might reset automatically or Ill have to ask James to reset again.....
52 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

I think we need to look at why the blips actually occur.

Are you plugged into the master socket?

Is there anything that happens in the locality that could cause the blips? Lights switching on / off, electrial equipment in use, streetlights coming on / off etc...? Have you tried switching the microfilter?
N/A

All microfilters and router were changed 6 or so months ago... which improved synch also disconnected extensions and ring wire

Do not have a mastersocket - wiring too old perhaps

Once a week or month does not tie in with any electrical activity.

The latest blip is the most severe yet hence the winge.
N/A

Exactly the same symptoms as im experiencing in the last couple of months. Random low syncs...today dropped to lowest yet, im now stuck on a 256 profile.
I've also changed filters recently and tried all the usual things. No unusual electrical activity.
Im at a loss now and was thinking of moving back to a fixed rate 2meg service to see if that would sort things out.
N/A

any further thoughts Liam?
N/A

The thing that causes the most annoyance grrrrrrr. Is not the blips themselves, MAX is a rate adaptive system after all, but that once it happens you are sentenced to 3 days OR more at that speed...

Are there any plans for BT to change this?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

To within about an hour or so BT are reporting the resync happened at 21/01/2007 14:27:46. Our RADIUS logs show disconnects at 15:18 21/Jan/2007, 11:39 21/Jan/2007 and 04:11 21/Jan/2007.

I'd say that it was likely that the 11:39 one was the one where the sync decreased, does that sound about right.

Looking further back the speeds are showing as dropping to 576kbps on 01/01/2007 13:47:32 and 1152kbps on 26/12/2006 10:23:44. There are other changes, mainly switching between 2 and 2.5Mbps which fits about right with the current sync speed.

Does anything link these times together? Boxing Day, New Year's Day and a Sunday. Is there anything you've done on these three days but not on any other since Christmas (or at least not when the broadband is connected? Clutching at straws here, but how about, switched the oven on, used the microwave, used some other electrical appliance (electric mixer, food processer, radio, video sender, games console, hoover, electric drill, etc.)?
N/A

To within about an hour or so BT are reporting the resync happened at 21/01/2007 14:27:46. Our RADIUS logs show disconnects at 15:18 21/Jan/2007, 11:39 21/Jan/2007 and 04:11 21/Jan/2007.

14.27 One seems to be where speed may have gone south. 15.18 is probably where i noticed and did a router start. Not sure about 11.39 - 04.11 No-one was awake.

Nope nothing I can think of... wife hoovers pretty much 24/7 and this has never affected me.

At a loss... Like I say its the long period of slowness that gets to me when the resynch after reboot is always 2800-3600
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Are there any plans for BT to change this?

BT have introduced the Blip Logic algorithm which means that if the sync speed drops once in a 14 day period and goes straight back up again the BRAS profile will go back up as well straight away rather than after 3-5 days. If it does it twice then the 3-5 day period will apply on the second occurance.
N/A

Help Needed Please PN

Ok, i've had enough of this now...just saw my profile with BT go back up to 1500 then i get another rouge resync which sent my profile plummeting back to 250.
I dont see any unusual reasons for the resyncs.(tried all the usual tests before you ask Wink )

Can i be switched back to my fixed 2meg service please, as its obvious my line cant cope with Max during the winter weather, and my old 2 meg service was stable, and thats all i want now..stability.
How do i go about getting changed back? and does it cost anything?
Thanks in advance..
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

If you put a ticket in requesting this, let me know the number and I'll get it arranged for you. There's no cost for doing it, but I should point out that there are no guarantees that it will fix the problem. There's a chance that whatever is causing the problem will still happen, but if you are happy to try and I've no problem placing the regrade.
N/A

Thanks Dave..Ticket number 21131045
Lets give it a go and see what happens ehh. It cant turn out worse than it is now can itHuh Smiley Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've put the regrade in, should be done in the next 2 days. I wouldn't have thought it would make things worse, but I should note that I have seen at least two cases where we've upgraded them from 2Mbps to Max, they had problems and went back to 2Mbps and went from intermittent sync to no sync. So rare that it will be worse but can happen.
N/A

Thanks Dave

It's fingers crossed time...
Snarf
Grafter

As a followup to this Dave, my ticket (21072056) that was closed a couple of days ago was to do with continuous disconnects. BT apparently fixed a problem, however the disconnects seem to be picking up again (3 today). I've also noticed that my sync speeds are lower than they used to be, despite the apparent increase in SNR (from 7 to 9). I used to sync at just over 2000, now it's currently just over 1800. The last few times I've checked it's also been in the 1800's.

Any ideas what's been going on? I guess a closed ticket can't be re-opened, does this mean I have to go through all the furore to open a new fault checker ticket?