cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we be worried by Plusnets Game traffic throttling?

suec45
Grafter

Hi guys,

Me and my brother often play and online game each at night over our connection (we cant do much else with it at peak times except browse and game).

Will the recent comments about throttling game traffic affect 2 people playing different games at the same time?

Thanks for your time.

(PLEASE dont ruin something else PN! Theres not much left!)
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

The gaming changes and a number of other ones that we have made are not permanant. We're basically looking into a massive problem current with the sudden downturn in speed over the last 3 months. 3 months ago, we had the same number of customers on the same platform and we weren't seeing anything like the number of issues that we are currently seeing.

Essentially, what we are doing currently, is analysing the traffic that is being downloaded from the highest priority downwards, hence the recent changes to VoIP and Gaming. I am going to raise my concerns regarding the limitation on gaming traffic however, as, as you say, sometimes more than one person on the same connection will want to play online gaming, potentially making the performance suffer.
suec45
Grafter

Thanks for the info James.

I will raise a ticket if we get problems Smiley
ceridwen
Grafter

The gaming changes and a number of other ones that we have made are not permanant.

Ignoring the fact that we have a statutory right to be informed of these changes in advance, that the T&Cs indicate we should be told of these changes in advance, that PN have on numerous occasions offered "reinforcement of our commitment to giving you 'reasonable notice' of any changes, upgrades or alterations to the service" (those are PN's words in an e-mail sent to all customers), and have assured OFCOM of the same, and PN has failed in all those obligations...

There isn't even a consistent story on the forums - you have to read both these forums {b]and the PUG forms to work out what has been applied - first we were told these restriction were in place (here), then that they were being tested (PUG plus the VOIP limit is 256Kbps for business customers), now that these are not permanent. Meawhile various questions trying to clarify just what the new service you are providing is go unanswered.

Matthew
James
Grafter

Matthew,

Ask the question and I'll do my best to ensure you get a good answer, on the basis that mine clearly wasn't good enough Wink
ceridwen
Grafter

OK my original questions were

The first question about whether these restrictions apply to business accounts has now been answered indirectly - although not on these forums but over on the PUG forums - the answer being residential accounts are limited to 128Kbps and business to 256Kbps.

Secondly, are these limit for all connections per user or for each VOIP connection? It is likely that it is the former but we would like this confirmed.

Is Video over IP also counted in these limits?

A new question is whether these are actually now in place for all customers. Simon's initial e-mail suggested that this was the case but Neil's e-mail on PUG spoke of these limits being tested which suggests otherwise. Could someone from PN please clarify?

Another new question (over on the Metronet ADSLGuide forum) is whether these limits also apply to Metronet users? (in this case this is someone who may be directly affected by this change since he does use VOIP conferencing and typically uses 170Kbps)

Some of these are really just to clarify the situation.

I think you may have already answered the Metronet question on ADSLGuide.

Matthew
Neil_A
Grafter

OK my original questions were

Some of these are really just to clarify the situation.

Hi there,
The products team and networks team are working on a detailed Service Status and forum posting today and hope to get this out tomorrow and I'll make sure it answers all your questions.

Thanks
suec45
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.

Its comforting to know you are listening, at least. Smiley

I think most customers just get annoyed when they think they are being ignored.
Neil_A
Grafter

No problem. Totally agree with you. It's frustrating at the moment that we don't have our usual presence in the forums as we have our experienced comms staff helping the CSC work the hardest tickets and training new staff at the moment.

Rather than answer lots of individual questions in lots of threads I'll try and answer everything in one post. Of course it's bound to raise new questions and then we'll try and answer all of those :-)
Community Veteran

Of course it's bound to raise new questions and then we'll try and answer all of those :-)

Stuck in a mobius loop ? :lol:

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Since when did Ellacoya 6.5 get rolled out :lol:
ceridwen
Grafter

Customers also get annoyed when things are changed before they are properly announced and the repurcussions known. Neil, of course, is well aware of this as he has apologised and promised to review procedures to prevent this on all the previous occasions when PN have introduced changed before the announcement (both to customers and to OFCOM).

Matthew