cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the 'Fair Usage Policy' be reconsidered?

N/A

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when PlusNet announced they weren't going to adopt their 'Fair Usage Policy' and it seems there are no plans to reconsider introducing this. I'd like to know what the users of the forum here think.

EDIT:
Remember - your vote counts!

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Duplicate thread removed]
21 REPLIES
N/A

Considering this
In September we will again review our customers’ usage to identify those using the service an unsustainable amount. More than 90% of our customers use less than 10GB per month. We have previously stated that we consider anything above 100GB per month for a £21.99 Premier customer to be unsustainable. For customers paying £29.99 this is increased by 50GB, and for customers paying £39.99 per month this is increased by a further 50GB. Therefore what we consider to be unsustainable is higher for customers who pay more. These are not ‘caps’ or set limits and depend on what time of day customers use their service. What we deem to be unsustainable will change over time as usage patterns change. We will always focus on those customers who drive peak time capacity and therefore we remind customers to please schedule large downloads to off-peak times.

What is the point of a poll
N/A

To try to see if PN are big enough to react to customer's and reconsider what was at the time (and is still) a sensible idea...

If every thread in feedback is going to end in what's the point we may as well call time on the forums and return the asylum back to the lunatics.
N/A

@ homely

It's called 'Customer Feedback'.
Community Veteran

I think Plusnet already have a Fair Use Policy, its just hidden in the Terms & Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy. The main difference being the main text uses black font and the limits have been printed in a white font so as not to cause confusion!
N/A

I can see how things are shaping up but I'd still like everyone who reads this to vote.

If you know what the 'Fair Usage Policy' is (or was) and you thought it was a damn good idea - say so!

If you thought it was too confusing or just something that was never going to work - say so!

Have your say please. If you thought the 'Fair Usage Policy' was a good idea then saying so here might make a difference.
N/A

I'd welcome the FUP if PlusNet decided to re-introduce it, but to be honest I don't think it's likely that we'll see that no matter how much of a sensible idea it may seem.

The fact was that the FUP was both clear cut and fairly open to abuse. PlusNet picked up on that fairly fast and we have ended up with the current situation of a policy that is slightly vague in some areas and allows action to be taken much more readily against customers that are deemed "unsustainable".

They could introduce a similar system and close the loopholes, but even if they did that they'd just take more flak for yet another u-turn. I imagine they are much happier being able to deal with customers on an individual basis when they see fit. Whether or not this is a good thing has been discussed many many times.

We can always hope I guess.
N/A

No.

Nice and simple
Community Veteran

If brining back the FUP brings back 8mb @ 21.99 I'm for it.
N/A

Seeing the number of posts about the recent changes http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32107&start=30 why don't you just dust off the FUP and try to revise it so that it works for you AND us the customers?
N/A

i have voted for Fup in this instance.
i was opposed to it first time round, but given the state of uncertainty in any of the products now, it might help customers and show a more clear cut product suite.

It`s also possible thier non-declaration of any limits will work in Plusnets favour in terms of customers being scared to reach an unknown threshold and be careful of their usage.
Pretty clever if profit is your only moral. They know that any mention of the word Cap or Limit in any ad pages would be suicidal to new business.

No matter how Plusnet try to describe contention as a fair system i`m afraid i can only see it as a system open for possible abuse by the ISP. We the customers have never had or are never likely to be shown any facts or information as to how contention affects our own personal connection at any given time of day or night. And by this i mean if it were possible to click a button
and see how many and what level of contention impact other users are having on us at the time.

I`m not complaining about the speed of my own connection, but then a bit taken from us on a majority of our data packet transfers and then multiplied by the whole customer base adds up to a whole lot of re-sellable bandwidth.

Please forgive me for my negativity, but as a fairly long term customer, it saddens me to see the mish-mash of changes and product and announcement `u` turns.

Would someone care to do a full product range count (including the last 12 mnths) and tally up the shear amount of different options that Plusnet have tried to keep their CS staff trained on and able to deliver the best service.
Well it boggles my mind.

I dont see another U turn back to FUP but i wish someone would bury this bone of Contention.
suec45
Grafter

I'm afraid I voted no.

I like things as they are with just a tad of shaping on P2P. I really cant notice it anyway.

You can use a lot more with things as they are than with the FUP.

If you like the idea of the FUP then just make sure you dont use more than 50gb in the month at peak times. Then you are on the FUP, the only diffence is the 5% shaping on p2p at peak times, not much difference.
N/A

I use around 40gb each month, so if this limits me to use less, I'm not for it. If it allows me to carry on carelessly as I currently do, I'm for it.

But if they bring this back they'd have to be more clearer on when peak-times are, and I feel that the bandwidth used should only be during peak times (on the bandwidth graph in your connection settings), because then we'd really know if we're using too much.

It just isn't right for them to put this in now (if they were), with the current problems...
Community Veteran

As I said before I believe they alrewady have a fair use policy but it is hidden within the current policies. I voted yes for a FUP(or what ever you want to call it) as I believe the current text is too vague. Currently Plusnets actions are based on peak times, which can vary. If everyone starts using maximum usage at 1am then that will become the peak time. Although my usage is low compared to many I prefer to see figures quoted in the polices, etc so I now exactly where I stand, especially with VoiP which in the longterm I think will result in heavier traffic shaping to ensure that it works effectively.
N/A

I know only 83 people voted but it was interesting to see that 2/3 of people were interested in the 'Fair Useage Policy' being looked at again. Thanks all for voting.