Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should it be called upto 8Meg?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As the maximum speed on MAXDSL is neared to 7Meg than 8 Meg should it be sold as upto 8 Meg? Going by the average expected speed it would be more honest for MAXDSL to be sold as upto 6 Meg.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The mpg rating of your car is probably upto, 45mpg.

Do you often drive your car on a rolling road with zero wind resistance? Thought not.

I can think of other examples ... :shock:

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

In the same regards, this has applied to all existing ADSL products in the past.

This is however a perspective thing. Most people accept that in ideal cirmstances, you will get around 90% of the advertised speeds.

This has not changed, it's just that the speed to the consumer has increase, this margin has remained pretty much the same, and this 10% that people once never considered about, is so much more visable.

Kind Regards,
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

But why do people accept this? If you purchase, for example, a pint of beer you expect a pint not a pint less 10%. It seems with ADSL you never get what you expect to get. 1 meg is not even 1 meg.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

A pint of beer is also the same thing, and was actually one of the things I was about to point out.

The head on a pint is classed as part of the product, and as such, you never actually receive one pint of liquid.

This is an old fight in the industry. At one time, they wanted lined glasses, where the beer must occupy 1 pint, and there is extra room in the glass for the head.

Trivial argument I know and to the issue at hand though.

You are indeed being supplied with 8Mb of ATM data (provided you line sync at this rate). As per the pint glass theory, overheads make up a core component of that product, as they are part of the data, and thus part of the calculation into throughput speed.

Beyond the scope of this argument is the very nature of data trasnfer. There are far too many variable to quantify from congestion, line faults and tollerances, equipment on both sides, data source, data receiver performance and for the hell of it, the weather.

In all, the very nature of how data performance is defined, means that nobody could say these speeds are not obtainable, nor can they say they are.

Kind Regards,