cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade to Premier

N/A

Hi all,

I've scanned the upgrade sheets about Premier (currently I'm on +) and would like someone to answer a few (possibly stupid) questions:

1. What are the main benefits of Premier?
2. What's the benefit of hosting your own mail server?
3. My XBOX360 is on its way, do I need to upgrade to play online?
4. I currently already play internet games (i.e. Rise of Nations) over the net on my PC with no issues, so I guess no benefit here fpr Premier.
5. Will Premier speed up downloads from clients such as Limewire?
6. If I do decide to upgrade will it take effect immediately?
7. I presume there are no upgrade costs?
8. What's the benefit and/or downfall of a static IP. Will this make it easier for hackers to attack my PC's?
9. I already use at least 2 PC's through my router, any benefits with Premier here?

Apologies for the plethora of questions, but I do like my research before spending more cash!!!

Thx in advance.

Ron

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All capitals title converted to lower case. See the Link:rules
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Re: SHOULD I UPGRADE TO PREMIER

Hi all,

I've scanned the upgrade sheets about Premier (currently I'm on +) and would like someone to answer a few (possibly stupid) questions:

1. What are the main benefits of Premier?

This is down to personal preference really. More priority to P2P, Static IP etc... are all features I find benefits.

2. What's the benefit of hosting your own mail server?

For normal usage, nothing at all really. If you have a local domain or workgroup and you wish to host / manage multiple accounts then it can be handy. But you should use Plusnet's servers without issue.

3. My XBOX360 is on its way, do I need to upgrade to play online?

AFAIK, there is no reason why BB+ wouldn't work with your XBOX360. Gaming is given the same priority on Plus as it is on Premier.

4. I currently already play internet games (i.e. Rise of Nations) over the net on my PC with no issues, so I guess no benefit here fpr Premier.

As above really... no benefits.

5. Will Premier speed up downloads from clients such as Limewire?

It should do really. P2P and Usenet is managed differently on Premier with a much higher priority. Whereas on Plus they're throttled heavily to save bandwidth for HTTP etc...

6. If I do decide to upgrade will it take effect immediately?

Yes.

7. I presume there are no upgrade costs?

It's free to upgrade but there will be a cost involved in downgrading if you want to in the future.

8. What's the benefit and/or downfall of a static IP. Will this make it easier for hackers to attack my PC's?

It's not easier for hackers at all, and if your all patched and firewalled up your no more likely to an attack on Premier as you are on Plus.

Static IP is handy for remotely accessing your network / PC as the IP address will never change. Also handy for hosting online games, web servers, mail servers etc...

You also get a static rDNS so you can access your PC/network via username.plus.com or similar.

9. I already use at least 2 PC's through my router, any benefits with Premier here?

Not particularly, other than those mentiones such as P2P speed increases.

Apologies for the plethora of questions, but I do like my research before spending more cash!!!

It's the best way!

Thx in advance.

Ron
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

1. Broadband Premier adds a lot of "extras" such as CGI, MySQL, Fax2Email, static IP address, and more webspace. You'll also see better performance from usenet and P2P, and you can host more domain names for free.

2. I guess the main benefits is that you have control over the mail and the server is independant of the ISP.

3. No, all our broadband accounts would be fine.

4. Shouldn't really notice any difference with gaming.

5. Yes, Limewire and other P2P downloads would be faster (assuming the source(s) can send the data to you faster).

6. Yes, it's normally pretty instant and just needs you to disconnect/reconnect once done.

7. There's no upgrade cost, but you would pay a pro-rata charge for the new account. You pay the difference in cost of the two accounts pro-rated for the remaining days, e.g. if you are half way through the billing month from £14.99 to £21.99 the difference would be about £3.50.

8. The main benefits of a static IP are that it makes it using servers on your connection a little easier, or if you need remote access to a site they can restrict it to certain IP's. It won't make any difference to a hacker, so long as you are properly firewalled it won't matter.

9. I guess it depends on what applications they are using, P2P and usenet would be better, but all our accounts should be fine for access on more than one PC.
N/A

Re: SHOULD I UPGRADE TO PREMIER

P2P and Usenet is managed differently on Premier with a much higher priority. Whereas on Plus they're throttled heavily to save bandwidth for HTTP etc...

Looks like anyone wanting to use the BBC Integrated Media Player will need a Premier account.
I hadn't spotted that they will use peer-to-peer to distribute material!! Shocked
N/A

Thx all.

One last question; will BB+ be slow when downloading from update sites i.e. microsoft, hardward drivers etc. Would Premier be better for this?

Cheers

Ron
suec45
Grafter

Premier is OK, but I have been getting big lag spikes trying to play online FPS games recently at busy times. It isnt my exchange either as it has tons of capacity (I live in a small village).

The main thing Pre,mier will be better for is P2P downloading (supposedly). Gaming SHOULD NOT be any different as BB+ is supposed to be good for gaming.

BB+ should be fine for dling from upadte sites unless they use P2P to transfer the files. (Not many do)
N/A

Thx