cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I raise a ticket?

N/A

Should I raise a ticket?

I have only recently been upgraded from a fixed 1 meg service to an up to 8meg service after posting a message on here.

I am very close to the exchange so sync at 8128/448 but speed tests for me never go above about 1.9meg. Using the Exchange checker it reported that there was a contention problem for the last few weeks so thought that might be the issue. However, the exchnage is now reporting no problems but the spped has not increased for me.

Is this normal speed?. I would have thought if I synced at 8meg I would get speeds somewhere close to it.

Should I raise a ticket or will I be wasting my time?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
rikmoncur
Grafter

Should I raise a ticket?

I'm in exactly the same position. I did the broadband checker and it reports that there may be contention at the exchange which sounds like an excuse.
long-gone
Grafter

Should I raise a ticket?

Yes, you should raise a ticket.

Yes, you will probably be wasting your time.

(But if you're really lucky and it gets noticed, you may find that your profile is stuck on 2Meg)

(If not, welcome to the world of throttled bandwidth.)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Should I raise a ticket?

Hi,

The speed looks to be set OK on our side, if the regrade was only in the past 10 days then it may just be that the BRAS profile hasn't updated yet, rebooting the router once a day should force it to update.

If it's longer than that then first thing to do is run the BT Speedtest

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

it doesn't always work, but so long as it does you want to look for the IP Profile in the result it give you, if that's still set at 2000 then if you raise a ticket and copy the results we should be able to raise this with BT and get it resolved.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Should I raise a ticket?

I'm in exactly the same position. I did the broadband checker and it reports that there may be contention at the exchange which sounds like an excuse.

Same as above, speed is set correctly on our side so I'd say check the BT speedtest and the IP profile. If it shows up correct then it is very likely exchange side contention. About half the exchanges in the country have been showing as red recently, you can check the data yourself at:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
N/A

Should I raise a ticket?

I ran the test and the IP Profile is set to 2000kbps

I will raise a ticket now.

Thanks for your help
N/A

Re: Should I raise a ticket?

I have only recently been upgraded from a fixed 1 meg service to an up to 8meg service after posting a message on here.

I am very close to the exchange so sync at 8128/448 but speed tests for me never go above about 1.9meg. Using the Exchange checker it reported that there was a contention problem for the last few weeks so thought that might be the issue. However, the exchnage is now reporting no problems but the spped has not increased for me.

Is this normal speed?. I would have thought if I synced at 8meg I would get speeds somewhere close to it.

Thanks.

I have pretty much the exact same issue - Do the BT Speedtest (I just did), and see what you get.

I got 90% of my profile on BT : but only about 5% via Plusnet's servers.
rikmoncur
Grafter

Should I raise a ticket?

my exchange's status is green.

BT Speedtest said this:
-------------
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6378 kbps
-------------
but all the speed test I do on adslguide, plusnet, speedtest.net etc never get beyond 2600 off-peak and at peak times drop down to silly mickey mouse speeds.
N/A

Should I raise a ticket?

PN Capacity Im afraid - which is why people are leaving. Hell, you never know, soon there may be some spare after we've all gone :lol:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules